Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Are there any baked-in limitations to streaming with javax.microedition.media.Player?

I'm debugging an app that is attemtpting to stream content either via WiFi or the mobile network.  WiFi is fine as one would expect.  However we get the following errors with other formats:

Audio or Video over AT&T on an 8820:  IOExceptinon

Video over Verizon on an  8330:  returns a generic MediaPlayer.ERROR on video (Audio streams fine, however..)

I suspect the problem may be that the app is currently using InputStream instead of DataSource, but figured I would ask and see if anyone is aware of other device/carrier specific issues I should be aware of.

Also, could anyone point me to some good documenation for the Plazmic player (net.rim.plazmic.mediaengine)?   On the BlackBerry, is this recommended over the standard Java stuff?

Thanks!

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Are there any baked-in limitations to streaming with javax.microedition.media.Player?

Are you using the RTSP protocol?  BlackBerry handheld software version 4.3.0 and higher supports RTSP over Wi-Fi and the mobile network.  Version 4.2.2 supports RTSP over Wi-Fi only.

The Plazmic player class is used to play PME content created in the Plazmic CDK.  It can be downloaded here:  http://www.plazmic.com/en/download/index.shtml

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Are there any baked-in limitations to streaming with javax.microedition.media.Player?

I actually just discovered that the newer devices support RTSP.  Excellent.  Playing around with this now.

To confirm what I'm seeing on the Plazmic site:  Their player is primarily for Plazmic SVG content put together with Plazmic composer and development kit?

Highlighted
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

That is correct.  The Plazmic CDK can output content in either SVG format or PME/PMB content.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker