Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Audibly alert BB user on web event

Hello,

I have a problem that probably needs a BB Java app to fix it but would like confirmation before I dig in - BB development is new to me.

I run a web page accessible through the BB browser that alerts truck drivers of changes to their itinerary (new stops to be made, etc). This works fine, but requires the driver to check the page at regular intervals, to make sure he has not missed any new events. To avoid this, I would like to generate some kind of audio cue whenever new events occur.

From what I can see, there is no way to do this via the web app, BB javascript support being what it is (feel free to correct me on this). Sending out an email or SMS is not acceptable because of potential delays. It has to be real-time. Pinging people through BB Messenger is not an option either because I cannot do that programmatically (and yes, I know of web2pin but there is a long delay there as well).

What I am thinking of doing is:

1. server-side: expose a web service doing nothing more than inform a driver new events require his attention;

2. client-side: run a small BB app that periodically checks the web service and beeps/rings/... whenever new events are present.

Would this be the easiest way to go about generating my real-time audio cues

Two more notes: I want to steer clear from any solution that requires additional (expensive) software to be installed. And I am not fussy about the kind of audio cue. It can be a ringtone, built-in alert sound, custom mp3, whatever is easiest to implement.

Thanks for any pointers you can give me!

New Developer

Re: Audibly alert BB user on web event

Zero replies - okay, but not even a single view? Am I in the wrong place?
Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

What you describe is possible on a BlackBerry handheld.  If you don't have a web service for your application already, you may want to avoid this extra overhead and have the BlackBerry application just read a data page from your web server.  Such as making an HTTP connection to something like yourserver.com/driverPages/getRoutes.php?driverID=1.  That is oversimplifying the URL, but should give you an idea.

Is this a public application accessed by multiple companies or an Intranet application?  If it is an Intranet application that has access to the driver's BlackBerry Enterprise Server, your application could push out data to drivers in real time when a route has changed.  This is more efficient (don't have to turn the radio on to poll for updates) and provides real time updates.  You can read about push here: 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliverables/5820/Creating_applications_for_pushed_content_509043_11.js...

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Thanks for your reply, Mark. I had given up hope on this post - it had been a while after all.

BES is not an option, but your suggestion of simply reading an online data page without resorting to an additional web service is a good one. I will look into it.

Thanks once again!