Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: not specified
My Carrier: not speciefied

Authentication with BrowserField returns 401 error

I am struggling with getting authentication done with a server by the browserField2 class.

I used the the extended BlackBerry package for Authentication via BrowserFiled.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/How-to-enable-HTTP-Authentication-in-your-Br...

The relevant code segment is attached.

private HttpConnection requestContentWithCredentials(BrowserFieldRequest request, HttpConnection connection) throws Exception {
        // Put the original headers into a table.
        Hashtable headers = request.getHeaders().toHashtable();

// Set some mostly random parameters.
        URI uri = URI.create(request.getURL());
         _authScheme.setParameter("method", (request.getPostData() == null) ? "GET" : "POST");
        _authScheme.setParameter("uri", uri.getPath());

// Set the headers from the authorization scheme, and then build the new connection.

String hilfe= _authScheme.getAuthResponse();

//headers.clear();
        headers.put( "Authorization", _authScheme.getAuthResponse() );
        BrowserFieldRequest newRequest = new BrowserFieldRequest(request.getURL(), request.getPostData(), new HttpHeaders(headers));

HttpConnection newConnection = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(request.getURL());
        newConnection.setRequestProperty("Authorization", hilfe);
         int status=newConnection.getResponseCode();
         newConnection = (HttpConnection)_browserField.getConnectionManager().makeRequest(newRequest);

status=newConnection.getResponseCode();
        // If the new connection is successful, save the credentials used.
        if (!requiresAuthentication(newConnection)) {
            String[] newUsernameAndPassword = {_authScheme.getParameter("username"), _authScheme.getParameter("password")};
            _credentials.put(_authScheme.getParameter("realm"), newUsernameAndPassword);
        }

return newConnection;

Authenitication works for this server,  if I do it directly with the httpConnection class:

1) openConnection

2) setRequestProperty("Authorization",...)

I get responseCode  200 in the example above, the relevant lines are:

HttpConnection newConnection = (HttpConnection)Connector.open(request.getURL());
        newConnection.setRequestProperty("Authorization", hilfe);
         int status=newConnection.getResponseCode();

Note that I use exactly the same string information as for the BrowserField class

Authentication does not (!!) work,  if I do it with the BrowserField class, although I checked all the relevant details by using exactly the same string information for both.

The relevant line for passing the credentials is

newConnection = (HttpConnection)_browserField.getConnectionManager().makeRequest(newRequest);

It returned error 401, authentication required. The authentication information is passed to the server by the request, which conatins the headers and in the headers there is one containing the ceredntials.  I checked this header with the debugger, it looks fine. Exactly the same string I used for the httpConnection class and could directly connect.

************************Question *************************************************************

Can I look into the ConnectionManager in more detail, why it does not succeed to pass the authentication  data.

************************************************************************************************