Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Automating Application Development.

Hi all,  a challenging task is ahead of me and i welcome all your opinions, suggestions on this.

I need to develop an app, where it automates the developement of the BB application. In other words, an application should be developed that generates teh cod file for HelloWorld App of BB. The user just take that and install it on the device.

Is this possible?? Its toooo early to think of possibilities, Smiley Happy.  I just want to know where to start for this kind of development. I want the approach. Is RIM supports this kind of dev? Do we have any tools?

Thanks and Regards,
PraveenGoparaju.
Developer

Re: Automating Application Development.

We could get kind of circular here couldn't we?  What tool would the user need to run your Hello World automatic development application.  And how would s/he install this and your automatic development environment?  Would the user have a more complex installation to use your auto development tool, than just following some printed instructions that worked on the standard tools?  Would the user need to understand how the standard tools worked to use your automatic development tool?

Not wishing to be negative, just not sure how you expect this will help the average developer?

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

HECL could maybe be a solution for the OP.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

I use bash scripts, and if this forum would run on lynx I would that here instead of firefox which does VM

everytime I now fill in a form as 500M isn't enoug any more.- it can take a minute to see a key echo...

See all my old posts as this was the first thing I did. The only problem I can't work around so far xccxcvc ( wtf?????? )

is that atttgtt thg signature tool has to popup a screen- I cold probably supply it a dummy class but oterh than typing in wrong windo so far not a problem. We use it to make branded vbersions of multiple OS vuilds and it

upload to server too. See my posts about "omniscient" or "mix and maatch" maybe since reduction to simplte

text lets you operate tools togeterh from different vednors, try doing that, or anythin,g with a gui.

( why does this html beed to be so complicated? I have 500M of memory and every keyt causes my disk light to stay on for seconds waiting to echo the cahr, page fauls through the roof)

Developer

off Thread:  "why does this html beed to be so complicated? I have 500M of memory and every keyt causes my disk light to stay on for seconds waiting to echo the cahr, page fauls through the roof"

Buy more memory - the time you will save in one day will more than pay for it.  Have you tried running any off the newer Simulators in 500M?

Developer

well, they are slow and annoying but I can debug on phone unless something really stupid comes up. Java can have that problem and I've mentioned several things that could be done to make that better but for occasional use it may be worthwhile and the effort of making a better alt may not be worth it. I fail to see why a browser needs 500M to surf some simple web pages and further why the act of pressing a single key sends it on an adventure in VM, apparently thrashing back and forth as the disk light is on solid until my key finally echoes. IE is much better but CPU can max out on page transitions. You see this every place nowadays- if you turn on debugging, stack overflow from the js or out of memory can occur and webmasters essentially tell you to talk to IT people to turn off the diagnostics. This is how you end up with stuff like ATT going down due to iphone, everyone just write code that uses up resources and then they get indignant and tell you to buy more cell towers when things go down. LOL. I would also mention that I don't need any GUI, which is usually the resource hungry part of these things, to make and deploy multiple customized bulds of a base app, that all goes fine without memory or resourc eproblems. Cygwin lets you even automate windoze stuff, unless they have really targetted automated usage in Vista or Windoze 7. Buying more memory, buying more stuff is only a solution if you design products to waste resources to help other businesses cell more stuff etc etc etc. I guess there is some law of parsimony that applies here, the simpler solution is often better, both intellectually and in terms of performance. LOL.
Developer

Getting back to the o.p. - this is the type of question that falls under the category 'if you have to ask, you shouldn't be attempting it".

And re: performance, my 2GHz, 4Gb dual-core machine (by no means a "top of the line" box) cost about $800. IMHO, hardware is much cheaper than my time.

Developer

Agree completely with RexDoug.

Mike - You may be happy using command line tools and non GUI editors, but I suspect most people find the productivity gains from running more sophisticated tools more than pays for the extra memory and computing power required. For example, when using notepad, it won't tell you that the method name is spelt incorrectly or give you a list of possible options, so I'm betting you have to run a compile to find out that you have the name wrong and then look up the API to find out the correct name.  Compare the cost of your time wit the cost of the new hardware.  And with the smallest netbook that Dell sells (in this country anyway), having 1GB, you can hardly blame Web developers for attempting to make their pages as useful and easy to use as possible can you?  Anyway, this is really off topic.  You could always start a new Thread to gripe about this if you want!

Developer

Well, it is hard to know of care much about OP level of background as it is often reasonable to ask a general question for ideas and get any recent or novel observations that may be of use. Even a few days out of a field can make this worrthwhile, esp when there are no automated access methods to stay up on advances within that field ( you have to manually read past loads of icons and pictures to find unstructured information). Have you tried to use this forum on a blackberry lately? LOL Posting and reading simple text info shouldn't be too taxing for slow phones or networks but guess what... Tell RIM to put faster procs and more RAM into each phone, then complain that speed of light is too slow and that you can't store enough energy in transferring an electron to/from a lithium ion and then call the peopple who make ARM's that they use too many electrons to change voltage on MOS gate etc.... In the one case, I'm just asking a webmaster to fix a "Stack overflow" evern most users never see it- this is clearly a bug that just doesn't happen to bother people who don't look. If you don't fix stuff like this, then you need to put more effort into making "special" pages for people who want to view your site on cell phones etc. Sometimes you need to do this anyway, but often with text info you only need to do it because main site is buggy etc.
Developer

well, the OP aasked about automated approaches to builds and popup method sigs are not part of that. In any case, I have mentioned that as a nice to have feature but that has really been about the only one. The learning curve involves my time too, and often hunting through a menu tree takes time and then if you want to do anything non-conformist you have to figure out how to defeat the automated features and end up with kluges. The best use of time is learning how to use general purpose tools than don't lock you into a specific vendor with the hopes that vendor was omniscient- the command line tools seem to do that. Anyway, without popup signatures, I just keep the RIM javadocs open in a browser and typos only cost a minute or two even with the brute force build scripts that recompile and re-preprocess everything. Also, if I need to look at signatures I often need more background and I have reduced all the javadocs to text which I can grep and otherwise search quite well now. This also makes things easier to share as I can copy/paste text more easily than a window and the RIM IDE does let you export window contexts as text for more flexible manipulation.