Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BB OS removing app

[ Edited ]

A client of ours is reporting the app we made for them sometimes disappears from a user's device (apparently without any action from the user). The client mentioned they have heard the BlackBerry OS might have a "kill switch" to remove apps that aren't well behaved (e.g. memory leaks, etc...). The app is pretty simple but it does have a companion listener app that runs in the background and receives push data from the client's BES. I'm guessing that is where the problem is at.

Does the BlackBerry OS have such functionaliy? If not, any ideas how an app can be removed from the OS without user input?

Thanks!

Developer

Re: BB OS removing app

I've never heard of this "kill switch" feature. However, I have heard of BES admins remotely removing client apps that are not part of his "approved" application deck.

New Developer

Not the case here. The app is an in-house corporate application so it's definitely part of the "approved" deck of apps.

Developer

I agree with RexxDoug.  The only time I have seen an application removed from a device was when the BES administrator changed the software profile for the device and removed the application. 

Do you usually use BES Push to implement applications?

New Developer

The project was to convert the client's old MDS Studio client app to a Java-based implementation since RIMM was dropping support of MDS Studio. The push service was already in place, otherwise we probably would have suggested just having the client app pull down the information from a web service.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll try and have the client dig further to see if there is some trigger on the BES to remove any apps. Otherwise I really don't see how this could happen.