Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BB Storm GPS

Really.. that's interesting. I have signed the app with RBB and RCR csi's, but the SignatureTool is not showing that I need an RRT. I have the RRT csi, but how do I sign the code if it's not requiring it in SignatureTool?
BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
Developer

You might have just put your finger on something - the GPS app I'm working on *does* require RRT, probably due to some other secure API's.

Take a look at KB article DB00591 and see what you think about it.

New Developer

criccomini,

Could you try including some code for a library that requires RRT and see if that fixes the problem? I don't have signing keys yet, but if that is the trick, then I will get some.

Randall

New Developer

I got ahold of a cod file last night that contained an RRT requirement in it. I then signed the app with all three csi files that I have (including RRT). I am testing on my BB tonight. Stay tuned for results.
New Developer

OK! We're getting somewhere. I'm still not getting getting a GPS fix, but I'm no longer getting "GPS not allowed"! So here's where I'm at. I have a BlackBerry Storm with GPS. The Criteria I'm using are:

Criteria criteria = new Criteria();

criteria.setHorizontalAccuracy(50);
                criteria.setVerticalAccuracy(50);

criteria.setAltitudeRequired(false);
                criteria.setSpeedAndCourseRequired(false);
                criteria.setAddressInfoRequired(false);

The location provider is initialized like:

LocationProvider.getInstance(criteria).setLocationListener(new MyLocationListener(), 60, 45, 45);

I am on the Verizon network.

What am I doing wrong? I suspect I'm mis-assigning my criteria, or my timeouts are wrong for my location provider.

Thanks!

Chris

Developer

Chris, If you getting a valid LocationProvider try just calling getLocation with a timeout of -1 in a location where you have valid  GPS data (ie check with bbmaps first).  this will hang for a while, but if it returns valid data we have a winner and its your listener settings.  If it doesnt we have a new hurtle. 
Developer

Also chris, the chart here : http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/4.5.0api/javax/microedition/location/Criteria.html says thats a different autonomous setting.  Maybe the GPS not allowed is that the Storm does not allow things to have Cost set to false?
Developer

According to the API reference, the default for costAllowed is true, and the default for power consumption is NO_REQUIREMENT, which should in theory give you Autonomous fixes, but I would try one of the other Autonomous settings by expliciting using setCostAllowed(false).
New Developer

I'm also experiencing the very same problem, just on the Storm under Verizon...all other phones work fine!!! Smiley Sad
New Developer

[ Edited ]

Your accuracy requirements look too strict. I would set horizontal accuracy to 100m and vertical accuracy to 300m. In fact, I would leave out the accuracy stuff entirely. The defaults should be reasonable.

So, is setting setCostAllowed to false and signing with an RRT key not enough to get a GPS fix on BB Storm? Did anyone get it to work?

Keep in mind that with autonomous GPS getting a fix will take at least 40 seconds and you have to be outside and have a good view of the sky.

Message Edited by asmq on 12-18-2008 07:53 PM