Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BBMaps and reverse geocoding

Is it possible to reverse geoencode (i.e. convert from GPS coords back to an Address) using the LBS API.  This is possible from with Googles API, not sure if the BB API supports this.

The way this might be achievable logically is to place a MapField on a screen, then moveTo some coords (obtained from say the GPS receiver).  Could I then obtain data about that point?.. have'nt really tried it yet just wanted to know if this is even possible.

Also maybe someone knows of how to get current location information based on Cell towers nearby.

Any help would be much appreciated

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BBMaps and reverse geocoding

Reverse geocoding is not currently supported in the BlackBerry API set.

You can use the RadioInfo class to determine information about the current cell tower a BlackBerry handheld is connected too.  However, it is not possible to gather information from other nearby cell towers.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

It isn't like the search engine people surveyed every home, afaik this information for US is in the census

files. I'm working on the tiger files now, already have the zip and landmark things up for testing.

I'm sure the commercial services have figured out a lot of details but check my earlier posts on

some test links- the landmark coding takes no time ( well, ok , a day or two) to setup.

Developer

Thanks for your replies,

I wanted this information to provide our users with information such as nearest Wi-Fi hotspots, LAN points etc near to their current location. 

We've decided to use the IPass address book (which contains a comprehensive list of this type of data based on Country and City) instead by populating this data into a DB, geocoding each address found into GPS coords and use this as a lookup for nearest network services.