Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BBThumbs.dat

To my continued astonishment, there is no file picker in the RIM API.  As such, developers must devise their own.  I'm working on a custom image browsing field, and I happened across this helpful post regarding the generation of thumbnails:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Thumbnails-work-around/m-p/343870

I haven't been able to test on an actual device yet, but I can't find the BBThumbs.dat on the 9550 simulator that I'm running.  As I understand it, that file is supposed to be generated automatically for any folder containing images.  How can I get the simulator to generate this file so that I can test the functionality of the app properly?

Of course, if anyone has any image browsing classes laying around, I'd happily accept that as a solution instead!

Developer

Re: BBThumbs.dat

[ Edited ]

If you don't want to deploy on version less than 5.0, there is a FilePicker API in 5.0.

Oh, and BBThumbs.dat may be a hidden file. I don't know if the APIs allow visibility for hidden files.

Developer

It is a hidden file, but other threads imply that the link I posted works.  FilePicker is about a full version too late - I need to support 4.x.

Developer

I have a BBThumbs.dat file on the root of my SD card, for example, and not on a directory that contains images. 

Cold reset on a device seems to prompt the Media applications to "scan", so if you don't find any BBThumbs.dat file, you could try that.

Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

I can't find them either - not only on the 9550'er simulator - also on my real Storm2 device - actually it seams to me, that in OS5.x the device generated Thumbnails are saved elsewhere (or the 'BBThumbs.dat' is well hided by the API) - my first though was, that they are simply not returned by the ExtendedFileConnection.list("*", true) method - but even the try to open the BBThumbs.dat in a diredctory does not return an input stream - so I do belive that with OS5.x the content of the BBThumbs.dat is not accesible any longer by 3'rd party developers [or there is an alternative location - that will not be revealed when we are using the normal methods we have to access the device filesystem]

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Developer
My Device: 9500/9520/9800/9810
My Carrier: TMobile

just liked to let you know, that in OS5 there is a folder: /system/appdata/rim/media -> there you can find files called thumbsXXxXX.key & thumbsXXxXX.dat -> I am just checking the content if that is compareable to the BBThumbs.dat...

[FileScout] | [iMazing] | [GPSLogger II] | [Iconify] | [TOMPlayer]
Contributor
My Device: Q10,Z10
My Carrier: Telus

so any news regarding the thumbnails of OS5 ? I despeartely need a way to retreieve the thumbnails of the pictures.

Contributor

i found the following at /Device Memory/appdata/rim/media

thumbs116x116.dat

thumbs116x116.key

thumbs480x360.dat

thumbs480x360.key

used the hex editor, but they don't have the header info mentioned at

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Thumbnails-work-around/td-p/343870

New Contributor
My Device: Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

Has anyone yet figured out the format of these .dat and .key files so that we can do similar things that we did with the bbthumbs.dat file?  I looked at them with a hex editor, and they really looked confusing.  Some images seemed to have jpeg thumbnails, while others seemed to have bitmap thumbnails.  None seemed to have PNG thumbnails.  The stream of data really seems hard to parse without some help or documentation.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Contributor