Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BES connection mystery

[ Edited ]

I need my application to connect via the BES to an intranet address but am running into some difficulty. I do have a firm grasp of the mechanics and am familiar with all the various connection parameters. I do not have any hands-on experience with the BES but know about the connection params (deviceside=false or none specified at all) 

The facts:

* CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient() returns false for BES connectiontype

* Blackberry browser is able to browse intranet content. This is certain since the address will not resolve publically

* Blackberry has MDS runtime installed. I know very little about this runtime. This is just something that happened to be on the phone, The app was not made as an MDS application.

* Manage Connections>Connection status shows device is not connected to a BES

* Options>Advanced>Enterprise activation shows the device was registered  Feb. of 09

* IPPP service book entry seems present but the UIDs look funny. I dont know an easy way to describe this except that they look like random numbers and letters instead of cryptic shorthand

* The BES happens to be the same server hosting the web services i'm trying to connect to

Why is the blackberry browser able to connect through the BES to the same webserver on the inranet while my application and the rest of the phone shows all indications that it is not on a BES?

Any outlandish theories are welcome.

Message Edited by nroy on 08-19-2009 09:15 AM
Highlighted
New Developer

Re: BES connection mystery

I see lots of service records named Desktop with CIDs for IPPP, MDS, BrowserConfig, and other services. The UID for IPPP is S58836825, but isnt it supposed to contain the string "MDS" ?
Developer

Re: BES connection mystery

Why do you believe that your device is connected to BES, all evidence to the contrary?  Smiley Happy

I think a better explanation is that you are NOT connected to BES. You browser would then be using BIS-B (rather than BES), which you do not have access to unless you provide the proper connection parameters in your URL.

In this case, you eed to provide somw type opf parameters to direct the connection type.