Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BES <--> Exchange PIMItem id mappings

I am looking at implementing a contact lookup function from the BB Address Book to a third party application that I develop. Given the BlackBerryContact id on the BES, is there an API that allows me to get the corresponding id on Exchange?

From what I understand RIM does not expose these APIs and these mappings are not always 1-to-1. Has anyone ever tried to do something similar?

Thanks in advance,

Mark 

Product Manager
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BES <--> Exchange PIMItem id mappings

Currently the reference ID from the mail source is not part of the BlackBerryContact implementation.   Can you provide more detail on your last point in terms of has anyone tried to do something similar?

Michael 

New Developer

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the response. I was wondering if, given a BlackBerryContact record, any third party BlackBerry developers have needed to uniquely find the corresponding record on Exchange. And if so, how?

From what I understand, I would need to extract certain information from the BlackBerryContact fields (ie. name, company, etc.) and perform a query for the same contact in my database.

Regards,

Mark 

New Developer

I asked this question during one of RIM's technical seminars today and was asked to provide the reason for why I need this functionality. I am implementing a contact lookup function in a third party application that hooks into RIM's native address book. I want to take a contact from the address book and bring up the corresponding contact record in my third party app (my third party application synchronizes contacts with MS Exchange). Unfortunatly I am forced to query for the contact in my system using certain fields from RIM's contact record (eg. first name, last name, company name, email address, etc.) but it still doesn't guarantee a 1-to-1 mapping (eg. there could be several john smith's that work at IBM with the email address 'info@ibm.com').

Having a RIM API that would allow application developers to obtain a contact record's OID on Exchange would be very useful. Please keep me posted on any further developments regarding this topic.

Cheers,

Mark