Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Re: BIS-B and Alliance Program

For a developer, I am shocked at the way you think of this really.

On handsets like Android, you pay for an internet bundle / booster / etc to get the internet on it. On BlackBerries, you pay for BIS which provides you with internet, instant email, etc. Users DO NOT expect to have to pay extra for these as was proved when I launched some BlackBerry applications - a couple of users complained that they were getting charged right away and many users pointed this out.

RIM have already said they plan to make BIS-B free to all developers, all we are pestering for is a WHEN...

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

"For a developer, I am shocked at the way you think of this really."

Shocked by the fact that I try to see this from RIM's and a user's perspective?

"you pay for an internet bundle / booster / etc"

I thought you could do the same on BlackBerry.  And if as a user, if you are on Android and don't buy the "booster" do you get charged?

"all we are pestering for is a WHEN"

I'd like to know that too.  However in the post on which I originally commented, you just said:

"Remember that many people have BIS-B only so don't want to pay additional for carrier provided data. This is why all developers need access to BIS-B, not just those with large pockets..."

Contributor

BlackBerry Internet Service and Carrier Data Bundles are usually similar prices depending on the carrier. On BlackBerry, most users only get BIS. On Android, they only need a carrier data bundle. What you are suggesting is users really should have to get both on a BlackBerry which would be pricey. As far as I can tell, from a pricing perspective, this makes no sense.

I am not going to argue with you anymore. RIM need to make it available to all users for the reasons I have stated and are glad they are going to but just need to speed it up.

New Contributor
My Device: 8100
My Carrier: ATT

RexDoug: Thanks for the response. After reading this, peter's sticky thread, and a whole lot more on this site and others I would just like to confirm a few things:

- If I want to write one app that uses an HTTPS webservice that will work for both consumer and enterprise (BES) users, and I cannot have access to BIS due to cost, I really only have one option:

DirectTCP

(I cant include BES as a possible method because of the split-pipe issue - I dont want to write two apps, one for consumers and one for enterprise users. WAP1 and WAP2 wont support an HTTPS web service call if I understand them correctly)

So being left with just the one option, I understand that this only works as long as the user (or the carrier) has set the APN settings correctly on the device itself. If not, I risk losing credibility with my users when the app doesnt work. There are two ways around this:

- Programatically store the APN settings for each potential network and specify them in the connection string at runtime depending on which network the device is connected to. (Now I'm forced to maintain settings for a wide variety of carriers - if they change at any point in time my app is broken)

- Check if the user has the settings set and exit the app if not forcing the user to set them (not very graceful).

So are my assumptions correct? Clarifying this key piece in my mind is probably one of the biggest things that potential app developers need to know. For a network dependent app - this information is critical to decide whether or not to move forward with BB development.

Contributor

The way we do it in our applications is to have a Connect Method setting with either Auto, Carrier Data Network, Wireless or BES.

For Carrier Data Network, you can just automatically pull the APN settings from the phone then you don't have to worry about it.

New Contributor
My Device: 8100
My Carrier: ATT

Craig - Do you have issues with selecting Carrier Data Network where the user doesnt have their settings set in their phone correctly?

Contributor

Yes but my take on it is that it is the user's job to make sure their APN settings are correct.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

My $0.02 worth (FWIW) is that BIS-B is an attempt by RIM to provide a carrier-agnostic transport for applications. This is certainly needed and welcome.

The fact that is costs us is regrettable, but speaking as someone who already made the commitment, I don't see why this is controversial. The membership has benefits above and beyond the BIS-B access - even though we are a small shop.

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

What are the differences between BIS-B and a Carrier Data Network? With Verizon you are required to get a BlackBerry Data Plan, which I assume is BIS. So what would be a Carrier Data Plan? I know not all carriers require a data plan, but how do you tell the difference?

Highlighted
Contributor

BlackBerry Internet Service includes internet and push email. The internet is routed through BlackBerry servers before it hits the internet. Carrier Data Network access is internet only provided by the carrier and goes directly to the site.