Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BIS-B and Alliance Program

I am releasing an App shortly which has been requested to support BIS-B support.

All I really need is the BIS-B connection string - I could really care less about any of the other options in the BlackBerry Allience program.

Not only is the fee pretty steep ($2,400 cdn), but the Members Points is just baffeling - Being an independent developer (and thus, a start up) there is no way I can reach some of these goals on the list - There's no way I can afford to "sponsor" a RIM event, there's no way I can fly to Europe for a Developer Converence. In fact, there is no way to get 45 points on this list without spend exuberant amounts of money, something that as an independent developer I cannot afford both by time or by financial means.

So my question is:

Is there ANY other way to get a BIS-B Connection string without paying $2,400+ dollars a year?

Developer

Re: BIS-B and Alliance Program

If you review this Thread, you will see that Mike Kirkup suggested that BIS-B might come with the 'free' level of Alliance membership, but I have not heard anything since.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/New-Alliance-Program-a-good-thing-for-develo...

Developer

Thanks peter.

I wonder (and hope) if this will change, could make or break my app.

Developer

I actually went through the registration process for the Alliance Program in order to get the BIS-B connection string because I'd been having so many problems with a network connection I was working on for an app.

I think the last screen in the registration process was a "we'll review your request and get back to you shortly".  That was months ago.  In the meantime, I'd found a successful alternative solution.

Basically my question is this:  is BIS-B-specific connectivity an unchangeable requirement?  Could your app use any available network connection?

New Contributor
My Device: 8100
My Carrier: ATT

"In the meantime, I'd found a successful alternative solution."

mlisa - care to elaborate on what you used to get arround the BIS-B/Alliance program problem? I'm running into the same issue trying to develop an application that works with both enterprise and consumer users. For me, it is also unreasonable to require a small develop to pay $2000 for network connectivity from a BlackBerry app. With steep barriers to entry such as this, its no wonder Black Berry apps have such a small market share compared to Apple and Android offerings!

Developer

BIS-B is not required to have connectivity from a BlackBerry app. You may choose BES (if the device is ion a BES network), WAP2, WAP, Direct TCP, or WiFi.

All of these options are "adequately" covered in the literature, the videos, the sample code, and in Peter's sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Also, with BB 5.0 and later, there is a connection factory to simplfy the process of detecting and choosing the correct transport.

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Remember that many people have BIS-B only so don't want to pay additional for carrier provided data. This is why all developers need access to BIS-B, not just those with large pockets...

Developer

I think there is a flaw in this argument:

"Remember that many people .. don't want to pay additional for carrier provided data. This is why all developers need access to BIS-B, not just those with large pockets..."

Not attempting to justify the position, but remember that the BIS-B infrastructure is provided by RIM, so, in my opinion anyway, it is appropriate that RIM receives some sort of compensation for its use and providing support.  It seems that the pricing model they have decided on is based on the developer paying for access to it which presumably the developer recoups in terms of increased sales or increased price of their product. 

I'm not sure that I agree with this model, but then I wouldn't, I'm a developer. 

However as a user I can see the attractiveness.  If I want/need an application that uses BIS-B, I will therefore be prepared to pay the extra for it. 

So the developer must decide whether the returns from the application justify the costs of getting access to BIS-B. 

I've simplified this a lot, there are other angles, but the general point is that someone has to pay for the service.  Nothing is free in this world.  If you want it the data charges for your application to be free for your users, then perhaps you should pay it yourself. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: T-Mobile UK

RIM gets back the cost by charging users for the BIS addon, though.

Also remember that some developers wish to provide free apps which they make nothing on but have to pay to get access to BIS. Hardly fair really.

Also, for other platforms (Android, etc), you don't have to pay anything additional to develop...

Developer

[ Edited ]

"some developers wish to provide free apps"

And they can.  User's understand that they may have to pay data charges even for free apps. 

"for other platforms (Android, etc), you don't have to pay anything additional to develop..."

So there are no data charges for these phones?

You may have noted that I have argued for free access to BIS-B, so we are on the same side.  I'm just trying to point out that there are other 'sides' which probably explains why this is not so simple for RIM.