Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BIS connection interfere with BES connection?

I am developing an application for the Blackberry that connects to a server in a corporate network, therefore the HTTP connection opened from the device must go via the BES/MDS. So I do not need to add any parameters (deviceside or wifi) to the http URL.

I have tried this application on several BB devices and the application can connect to the server.

However, on other devices 8310 with OS 4.2.2, the application can not connect, the other thing I have noticed is that these devices also have BIS connections.

The devices that the application works on do not have BIS connections only BES, could this cause the application connection failure? Because of the BIS connection does the HTTP request get routed to the internet rather than the BES?

Is there anything I can do with the HTTP URL, e.g. deviceside=false, that will force the connect via the BES?

Many thanks,

Dave

Developer

Re: BIS connection interfere with BES connection?

Use CoverageInfo to detect the presence of the BES network, then set your connection parameter to "" (or you can use deviceside=false).

New Developer

I use CoverageInfo.isCoverageSufficient(CoverageInfo.COVERAGE_MDS) is that sufficient to determine that there is a MDS/BES connection?

I currently use no connection parameter and from the literature this should cause the request to be routed to the BES, but the request never reaches my application server, would it be safer to add "deviceside=false"?

Could the issue not be with the URL parameters but in the "blackberry infrastructure" not routing the request to the BES?

Thanks,

Dave

Developer

If you are using no parameter, and the customer has BES, then you should be fine.

What do you mean when you say "the devices have BIS connection"?  Just about any device can have BIS. However, you'll need a special parameter to connect to the BIS-B service from your program.

New Developer

It was my understanding also that I did not need a parameter for BES connection, I will try with deviceside=false to see if that has any affect.

As for the note about BIS connection, maybe it is just a coincidence that the applications does not work on devices with BIS and BES connection, maybe it is more related to a device (8310) and OS (4.2.2) problem? Are there any known problems with application http connections for this device and OS?

Thanks,

Dave

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i would suggest to run the network diagnostic tool (and base a connection class on it)

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800563/What_Is...
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter