Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9300
My Carrier: Yoigo
Accepted Solution

BIS connections

Hello,

I'm not able to send datagrams using a BIS connection. I tried to append at url "ConnectionType=mds - public" but it doesn't work.

BB Documentation says: "To use the BlackBerry Internet Service transport, you must sign up for the Push Service". I did it because my app uses Push Notifications too but i dont understand why this is necessary. Which information obtained from the registry are used in BIS? and how is it used??

Thanks in advance!

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BIS connections

As I understand it, the requirement to use Push Services is not actually there because there is anything in the Push Service used for BIS-B, it is because the process of signing up for Push Services means you agree to some Terms and Conditions that relate to your usage of BIS-B, which push uses.  So there is nothing technical in the requirement, it is purely legal. 

To help with your problem using BIS-B, we are going to need a more information, like the Exception thrown. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ah ok Peter, thanks.

No strange exception, only timeout exception.

The context is the following, an application that needs to send information to a device located in a building when users are not in the building.

In the application I use http connections (Web Services) and datagrams (UDPDatagramConnection) but the problem in both (I think) comes down to what to put in the url to use BIS-B or what other actions should I take for it??

All books, forums or documentation that I have consulted explains the different types of connections that exist and how to perform them:

WiFi: "interface=wifi"

Direct TCP: "deviceside=true" and another APN configurations.

WAP: "ConnectionUID=WAP2" and another configurations.

BlackBerry MDS: "deviceside=false"

What about BIS-B? I have read about "deviceside=false;ConnectionType: mds - public" but it doesn't work or any other action is necessary?

I hope you understand me now, thanks in advance!!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i suggest to use http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/io/transport/ConnectionFactory...

and btw, you are violating forum rules by posting the bis connection string. I know, it's a kind of stupid rule, but it's there, just telling you about it.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Contributor

I know Simon, sorry, but I don't know how to explain it without posting it.

ConnectionFactory is since 5.0 devices but I think I understand now why it does not work by GCF.

Note: WAP 1.x, WAP2, MDS and BIS_B do not support udp:// or datagram:// connections.

Is this true?Simon can you confirm me the only way to do UDP connections is a direct TCP or a WiFi connection??

Thanks very much!!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

well, if it is in the API docs i would guess that it is correct, you would have to ask somebody from RIM, i don't have the insights into the source code.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter