Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Best Pratice? Storing large sets of data.

I'm programing a Client to access client adress information. The Data is delivered out of a MSSQL Server by a Webservice.

What's the best pratice to bind this data i.e. to ListFields? String Arrays? Or an XML File with is parsed?

Any Ideas?

Thanks, hhessel

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Best Pratice? Storing large sets of data.

these debates come up from time to time. The bigger question is normally how to geet it to the phone after

someone asks why BB doesn't support databases. There is no magic here- it depends on what you will do with

the data. In terms of general considerations, see j2me on sun.com or jvm issues more generally. We all

should get a BB hardware reference too LOL...

If you really have a lot of data, there are zip libraries available and I often use my own "compression" schemes.

Personally I go with simple types in persistent store and built my own b-tree based indexing system

which is also persistable and yet testable undet j2se. For strings, this let's me store repeated prefixes

only once although I finally gave up storing them as only longs. So,  if I have hundreds of strings that start "http://w"

I only store this once. Before you think about the overhead in linking these together, that gets taken up

by the indexes that you use to find the string anyway ( so, sure you need time to concatenate the pieces

back together, but the space overhead given index needs is low).