Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: airtel
Accepted Solution

Best model to purchase for testing the app

Hi All,

I am working on  calendar app,we want to purchase a device ,which model and version do u suggest for testing the apps.

Thanks

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Best model to purchase for testing the app

Personally, I appreciate the developers who gather a small group of beta testers who have a range of devices on OS5 through OS 7.1 to test apps, give feedback and report bugs. Using one device for testing won't usually get the job done.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Good point and one which I 100% agree with.

Personally myself, my main test device is actually an 8520 - because it is going to work on there, it is probably going to work on any phone.  But that is for OS 5.0 and above apps. 

If we talk about general applications, that say use GPS, do some networking, perhaps send an email or interact with the native capability in some way, then the key differences between the devices that you may want to test are
a) BES and BIS

b) Touch and non touch

c) Large format and small format

d) Portrait and Landscape

e) OS 5, OS 6 and OS 7

So for example, a minimum set of test devices would be

a) 9300 running OS 5.0 on BIS

b) 9800 running OS 6.0 on BES

c) 9900 running OS 7.0 on BIS

This about covers the major differences, but you need 3 devices, not just one. 

Hope this is helpful. 

Developer

...and let me also add CDMA vs. GSM devices (an issue Peter probably does not have to deal with).

Developer

" CDMA vs. GSM devices (an issue Peter probably does not have to deal with)."

Correct.  Good point.

Regular Contributor

I am planning to get 9300 or 9700 v6 device,i did not the last point CDMA /GSM ? Please explain this does this really matters ? The above mentioned devices are fine ?

Developer

You will not be able to test touch screen interaction with either model, so you will left with testing that on the SImulators, which is very different. 

I have not seen any figures for sales of models, but my impression in the UK is that the 9300, which I think was aimed at consumers, is a bigger seller than the 9700, which seemed to be aimed at corporate customers. 

If you were really stuck on only getting 1 model, then I would actually get a Torch 9800.  It has a keyboard, so you can interact just using the keyboard and trackpad, simulating a non touchscreen phone, or use the touchscreen.  

For CDMA verses GSM, see wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA

In Europe all phone networks are GSM, so you can take your GSM phone anywhere in Europe, and it will work (though the cost can be a lot higher).  IN North America, networks are I believe, mainly CDMA.  But you can't take a CDMA phone to Europe - it just won't work. A lot of phones will work everywhere, (typically in BlackBerry land, the "world" phones, where the model numbers end in 30).  There are other function differences between the capabilities of the devices, but this has never bothered me as I tend to develop for Europe (GSM) only. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks,i will give 3 options to cmp for purchase -9300,9800,9700