Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 9860
My Carrier: 1234

Re: Bing Maps Integration in BlackBerry Apps

You would have to find the URL interface of the Bing Mapping. Where by you can send a request with coordinates and it will return you this map. Then when you move the screen on your phone, in what ever manner, you would have to resend a new request for the map, with the new coordinates. Its not straight forward.

Im using my own mapping REST interface, as it is a necessity but if you can use mapField, I strongly recommend that instead.

Developer
My Device: Blackberry bold
My Carrier: Vodafone India

It means that I need to download bing app first and then by using Application descriptor class I can invoke bing map?

Had you worked on this before?

Looking forward to here from you
Thank you
warm regards
Mohammed Aziz
Contributor

Oh I dont know about this method sorry.

Ive built my map application from the ground up. Using a web service that returns images. I know google has a similar API.

But if you can do what you suggest that would be easier. Sorry but I cant help you on that though. Ive no experience in doing so.

Developer

Can you share your App name so that I can view it and get some ideas?
warm regards
Mohammed Aziz
Contributor

Unforunately not. It is a private app, for private customers and is not freely distributed or sold over the App Store.

Plus its still in development Smiley Wink I just got the GPS displaying on my mapping system Smiley Very Happy Yay.

Developer

Okay just clarify my doubt that you are displaying bing maps or google maps in your App?

And you are getting static maps from a web service that would be provided by your client?
warm regards
Mohammed Aziz
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am getting static maps that I provide from my own web service. via REST interface. (sent back in GIF Compression, as a byte array in Base64String Format.)

I have seen and can do similar with a google map API that obtains static images. Since thats all the maps are. When I move the screen, it drags the image with it. And when I release, It obtains a new static map image of what the screen should now display. And then displays it Smiley Happy

I tried using Mapfield for use with my own maps but never did find a way. It seems stuck on BB Maps.

I should mention, that this obviously uses the internet to obtain images. If its ever possible, I recommend using on device mapping. I had to use this due to slow reading times causing massive lag delays, So the server draws my maps for me.

The Cons: Eats at your data allowance, even if each image is only 50kB - Soon adds up. (unless unlimited data plan). And requires internet connection to work.

Highlighted
Developer

That means you are doing lot of coding for your App

Thank you once again for spending your time on posting your experience.

Best of luck for your project.

Thank you
warm regards
Mohammed Aziz