Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry 9550 - Third Party Applications won't launch

I am testing my Java app on BlackBerry devices and I would like to know if this is a defective device or if there is something I can do to fix it.

I am using BlackBerry 9550 v 5.0 touch screen. When I deploy my signed app to the device it used to be deployed under "Downloads" and it would work fine but I had to reset the device at some point to remove some security profiles so that I can have external email accounts. After I did that, the app that was already deployed was working fine.

I made some changes to the app and re-deployed the updated app and now I can't open/launch my app. When I touch my app, there is no response. The same app works on a a different 5.0 device and a 4.7 device. Is there something blocking me from running third party apps? If so, how can I enable it?

Please help.

Developer

Re: BlackBerry 9550 - Third Party Applications won't launch

Did you check the device event log to determine if there is an error?

I think the clue here is "I made some changes to the app...".

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just downloaded Zillow from BlackBerry App World and that won't respond either. So I highly doubt if this is just my app. Also, the modified app works fine on the 2 other 5.0 devices (one touch screen and the other track pad  BB 9650)  and a 4.7 (track wheel device).

It will be good to verify event logs for the app. This is my very first app for BB smart phone, can you please tell me how I check the event logs for an app?

Developer

What level did you compile for?

Remember that your BB SDK level must be equal to or less than the target OS level. If you compiled under 6.0, you canot run this app on a 5.0 or 4.7 device.

The log can be retrieved using java loader - look at the javaloader help.

You can view the log on the device using the <alt> L G L G key sequence for keyboard devices,

Contributor

I am using Eclipse Plugin with JRE 4.5 to compile the app. Like I said, it works fine on 5.0 devices (touch & track wheel). The issue is with just this device.

I wasn't able to see any log information using the alt L G L G key commands. Should the app be running for this? What should be my screen when I enter this key command?

Developer

You should be on the home screen. The device event log is not specific to your application, it contains all app events.

For touch devices, you should get the numeric keyboard and enter <alt> , 5 , 5

You can also retrieve the log using javaloader.

Did you try a battery pull on the offensive device?