Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: BlackVerry 8250

BlackBerry Dev Newbie -- problems

Hi,
I have been doing development in android and recently have planned to start Blackberry dev as well. But I am really confused regarding OS of Blackberry. I want my application to support recent 2 or 3 verrion of blackberry OS (Non-Touch OS). Can anyone tell me for which OS should I develop my app?

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Dev Newbie -- problems

Depends on what you want your app to do really. 4.5 is really a good starting point since it supports phones from the 8320 and up. Although depending on if the SDK supports what your trying to do you could probably get away with lower versions.

Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

Welcome to the forums!

I'd say there are a few thresholds:

4.2.1 is probably the oldest OS still on the noticeable number of phones in the field;

4.6 is the first to include net.rim.device.api.ui.decor package which makes UI development a lot easier; also has ApplicationIndicator which is very nice to have; probably some other goodies as well, but just the decor package alone makes it worthy of consideration;

4.7 is the first with touch screen support - but you may skip it as it was unusable. Most people switched to 5.0 ASAP;

5.0 - a lot of new stuff: BIS-B push, browser.field2, GridFieldManager, etc. The market share of this is still not too high, but it is growing. If you plan to release in one year, this one is probably safe.

6.0 - the newest, has a lot of "cool" stuff but is only beginning to make a presence.  I'd say it's too early to develop for that alone.

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
Developer
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

This may help your decision:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/choosingtargetos.jsp

(Link originally posted in this forum by M Sohm)