Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse 1.3.0 released!

I'm really disappointed to read at developer blog...

Important information about Java Plug-in for Eclipse 1.3

that there will be no update site for the 1.3 plugin

its always much much work to add all the other plug-ins needed from daily work.

I understand that for new users its easier to use the full installer,

but for advanced developers this is a drawback

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

@ekke

As was I, but I'd be more interested if they plan on fixing some of the bugs mentioned in this thread and provide better actual Windows 7 64-bit support.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

This is great!  I too like to separate eclipse installs based on what development I'm doing.  Now we just need a GUI editor! (hint, hint) Smiley Wink

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

Haha... maybe I came at the wrong time to start BlackBerry Development. I'm really stratching my head a lot. I posted on another thread that I was having trouble launching my app on my Blackberry Tour after like a few loads. It just stopped responding altogether. So I'm working backwards on the issue.

My logical first steps were:

-Installing thie complete Eclipse Plug-In for Mac OS X which included the Blackberry SDK 6.0

-Getting keys from Blackberry (I'm still missing one key, heh... but I'm emailed devsupport)

-Trying to use the update site. (Somehow I got 5.0 and 4.7 SDKs on my machine and Eclipse recognizes them as "Installed Software")

But here are the big problems:

-I can't use a SDK lower than 6.0 on the project wizard (my guess is that these SDKs aren't Mac friendly and have windows executables that are needed)

-I can't use the update site anymore. (For some reason it just broke today or something and I get "Unable to read repository at http://www.blackberry.com/go/eclipseUpdate/3.6/java/content.xml.
No password provided."

Here are the conclusions from the 14 pages on this thread on Mac OS X issues:

1) The Eclipse environment from BlackBerry for Mac OS X only works with the included BlackBerry SDK 6.0 because it has executables that can only run on Mac.

2) The update site was for Windows BlackBerry SDKs only, and somehow things were misplaced.

3) In order to run apps on my BlackBerry Tour, I need a BlackBerry 5.0 SDK since its running that version.

4) Even if I try to install the 4.7 and 5.0 JRE's by hand, since they are Windows specific, i get "must point to a vaild fledge.exe" file or something. (which makes sense, I don't have the Mac JRE's)

My question is, is there a place on the website to download Mac versions of these old JRE's?

~Mike

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Has anyone had much luck updating their install to eclipse 3.6.2 with this plugin? 

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Is there an update for this immanent?  My instance just told that an update was available.  But I see nothing online, maybe it was confused by the eclipse 3.6.2 update.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook -> 9900, 9810, 9800, 9700,9000, 8800, 8700...
My Carrier: AT&T

It looks like for whatver reason the link you follow when you use the update prompt takes you to the download for the old version. If you follow the link from the blog, you will find the correct version:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/javaappdev/javaplugin.jsp

Try out BBSSH, a free Blackberry SSH client.
  • If you like my post, please let me know by Liking it!
  • If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button.

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

yes, the 'normal' link points to the 1.3.0, the link from BB Developer blog points to 1.3 Maintenance Release

I noticed this, too while updating my how-to-install-instructions.

unfortunately it's again only the full installer available, so the 'upgrade' is a new install and it's still only Eclipse 3.6.1 inside.

see also this thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

For the love of all that is holy, has the console output been fixed in BlackBerry Java Plug-in for Eclipse v1.3 MR (update Mar 4, 2011), so the characters [0.0] no longer appear in the actual text output?

You know what would be nice, if I didn't have to set-up my development enviornment again to get this release?

What a poor decision by RIM not to provide an update site.

This isn't a plug-in, this is just lazyiness by RIM and I'd like to hear an agrument otherwise.

RIM cannot provide development tools... wait, why am I wasting my time here, because I should just write a blog post and complain - that seems to be the only way RIM pays any attention to their developers.

--Todd

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1 Build 7600) | Java SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07) | Eclipse Version: 3.6.2 [M20110210-1200] | BlackBerry Eclipse Plug-in: 1.3.0.201102031007-19 | Java Compiler level: 1.3 | Targeting devices running OS 5 | Simulators: JDE 5.0 packaged 9700, 9630, 9300
Contributor
My Device: supporting 4.6 upwards
My Carrier: any

I have another annoying "feature" with the 1.3.0 version:

The "I18n Resource Editor" uses a rather big font for displaying the content of the files, but if you click on entry to edit it, it switches to the standard font. This is very irritating, to say at least...

I can't find any option to set the font/size for this editor -- does somebody out here know how this could be fixed?

For me, this editor already is the last reason to consider launching Eclipse with the BlackBerry Plugin. The previous versions crashed much too often for me and, as you can also read in many posts in this forum, the setup of it can lead to irreproducible issues. In our case, parts of the plugin didn't work for a colleague, but which worked for me and vice verse.

But then - maybe I should also consider to look out for some space in the Blogsphere. I always have to try hard to calm down before writing a post. There are much too many issues when developing for the BlackBerry platform.

And this is the really, really expensive part of it if you try to get some decent, ambitious App out of the door... Not the entrance fee to get some signing keys or something similar. Seeing my colleague implementing the functionally same App for the iPhone in a fraction of the time I spent for the BlackBerry version makes me envious. It's too early for fixed figures, but for what I see I wouldn't be surprised if he get's the job done in considerable less then 50% the time I spent.

To put things straight: I'm a developer with roughly 20 years of experience with several languages and system environments.

Senior Software Engineer
Lindenbaum GmbH
http://www.lindenbaum.eu/