Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Reply
Developer
Posts: 112
Registered: ‎04-28-2010
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: AirTel

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

hi M Sohm,
Thanks for sharing the information.

New Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-28-2011
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

Mark,

 

Is there a version of the 7.1 OS available to download to accompany this?

Or can we only develop on the simulator for 7.1?

 

I prefer to debug on the platform, rather than on the simulator, as I am working with NFC and its easier to deal with the hardware.

 

Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
Posts: 15,697
Registered: ‎07-09-2008
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

Currently, only the simulator is available.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Regular Contributor
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
My Device: all BB 7 (incl. prototypes)
My Carrier: MTS-Ukraine

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

I compiled our project with sdk 7.1 but it cannot be installed on 7.0 devices any more.

It's an update of 7.0 and not backwards-compatible? That would be ridiculous... can't we set a minimum supported version when compiling and use reflection in order to utilize new features, like it is done on Android (http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/backward-compatibility.html)?

 

On a side note: would 7.0 be upwards-compatible with 7.1?

Developer
Posts: 1,807
Registered: ‎04-28-2009
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

All BlackBerry SDKs are upwards/forewards compatible but not backwards compatible. So 7.0 on 7.1 works, 7.1 on 7.0 does not.
---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer
Posts: 1,622
Registered: ‎07-14-2008
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!


ber4444 wrote:

I compiled our project with sdk 7.1 but it cannot be installed on 7.0 devices any more.

It's an update of 7.0 and not backwards-compatible? That would be ridiculous... can't we set a minimum supported version when compiling and use reflection in order to utilize new features, like it is done on Android (http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/backward-compatibility.html)?

 

On a side note: would 7.0 be upwards-compatible with 7.1?



You can compile apps on 7.1 and use it on 7.0 ONLY if you do not link OS7.1 specific libraries.

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
My Device: all BB 7 (incl. prototypes)
My Carrier: MTS-Ukraine

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!


"You can compile apps on 7.1 and use it on 7.0 ONLY if you do not link OS7.1 specific libraries."

 

This is what I thought, but our app cannot even be installed on a 7.0 device when compiled with the 7.1 sdk WITHOUT changes of any code of our project that was originally developed with 7.0 sdk. One would expect a runtime crash instead if the developer forgot to use proper reflection. No wonder why RIM is trashing their OS and scraping QNX in.

Developer
Posts: 889
Registered: ‎08-31-2009
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!


ber4444 wrote:

 

our app cannot even be installed on a 7.0 device when compiled with the 7.1 sdk WITHOUT changes of any code of our project that was originally developed with 7.0 sdk.



So I take myself and all other developers are ever going to compile for OS 7.1 ever. All because RIM released SDK 7.0 and 7.1 with the same version number so it is physically imposible to instal both on the same machine. Can someone at RIM fix this? All you have to do is change a version number. Stop releasing such broken tools.


Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
Posts: 1,622
Registered: ‎07-14-2008
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!


Ebscer wrote:

ber4444 wrote:

 

our app cannot even be installed on a 7.0 device when compiled with the 7.1 sdk WITHOUT changes of any code of our project that was originally developed with 7.0 sdk.



So I take myself and all other developers are ever going to compile for OS 7.1 ever. All because RIM released SDK 7.0 and 7.1 with the same version number so it is physically imposible to instal both on the same machine. Can someone at RIM fix this? All you have to do is change a version number. Stop releasing such broken tools.


well basically i backup my OS7 files and the sim folder and then uninstall OS7 before installing OS7.1

Developer
Posts: 541
Registered: ‎05-17-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry Java SDK v7.1 – Now in Beta!

So I take myself and all other developers are ever going to compile for OS 7.1 ever. All because RIM released SDK 7.0 and 7.1 with the same version number so it is physically imposible to instal both on the same machine. 

This is a problem but I think they will get this fixed in the final non-beta release. As I understand it, Eclipse users are currently able to run both the 7.1 and 7.0 compilers on the same machine.

 

Scott