Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry app, GPS, and Verizon -- extra steps required?

Our company developed a BlackBerry app which uses GPS data. It works successfully on AT&T and Sprint, but not Verizon.  Reading through this forum and discussions on other sites, I find conflicting info. To get to GPS data on a Verizon BlackBerry, do I need to arrange a key from RIM? (if yes, how?)

Or, do I need to arrange a key from Verizon?  Ideally, I'd like to offer GPS+cell, but will take standard GPS if that's the only option.

I've seen GPS apps in BlackBerry App World which say they support Verizon, so I know there's a way to do this. Advice?

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: BlackBerry app, GPS, and Verizon -- extra steps required?

If you are using the aGPS, then it only availalble starting with OS4.7 on Verizon, I think. Device GPS should be available though.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry app, GPS, and Verizon -- extra steps required?

Network assist on Verizon requires PDE data, which you can only get if you join the Verizon developer program and beg for it.  We tried several times to get a response frpm their developer program, with no success.

Prior to 4.7/Storm, ONLY network assist is available on Verizon devices (their OS deck locks out autonomous GPS).  On 4.7 and higher, autonomous mode is available without any special assistance from Verizon.

Please review this KB article and the links it refers to:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Verizon-GPSSettings-signing-requirement/ta-p...