Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: 9000

BlackBerry roots

Hi,

I have a question about the root names for BlackBerry.

For example my Bold 9000, has 3 roots:

• System
  • Store
  • SDCard (if SD card is inserted) 

Does any one know, what is the purpose of 'system' root ? Are there any restrictions (read/write operations for any file operation ? ).

Thanks.

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: BlackBerry roots

Check out my recent thread here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Error-In-Storm-wth-5-0-FileConnection-Failin...

I can no longer access the system folder even for read access - I get a 'null' exception.  The system folder contains things like the default ringtones that your phone can use, but since you can't access the folder you can't leverage them.  Hope this helps.

Devon

Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks,

I have tried at least in OS 4.6.0 I was able to create/rename/delete folders or files, except the files with *.rem extension for some reason, can't even read them.

But I guess not all devices have system folder, so I probably shouldn't even touch it.

Developer

.rem files are the DRMed files. You can probably try reading them somehow with the ExtendedFileConnection class (I've never tried this myself).

New Developer

I was able to access the system folder in 4.7 - I could even play .rem ringtone files, but even opening FileConnection on the root is throwing an exception in 5.0.  I think the best thing to do is to stay away from it.

Developer

Is it throwing a ControlledAccessException by any chance? If so, it's probably because your application is not signed by the proper signer whose ID is encoded in the .rem file. I suspect that in v5.0.0 that signer would probably be the RIMAPPS2 (aka "3") so that only RIM's own application can access these built-in media files.

Developer

Thank you for all your responses. I guess I shouldn't mess with System then Smiley Happy