Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

mjs
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry 9700 9780 Bold GPS Problem OS 6

Hi,

We develop an application part of which performs background GPS tracking - sending the user's GPS position once every 5 minutes, to our server.  We have this application deployed to many devices (hundreds of Blackberry devices) which works absolutely fine, for weeks on end.

However we are seeing a definite issue with the application on Blackberry Bold 9780s.  The issue is that after some time (a few hours or sometimes a couple of days) the GPS stops returning location information to our application.  Performing a GPS refresh from the Options screen times out and the Blackberry Diagnostics application (the "test" one) cannot acquire a GPS fix either.  We are doing these tests outside, with no surrounding buildings an a clear sky.  The only way to get the GPS working again is via a battery pull (unacceptable to customers).

Looking through the forum it seems that many other developers and users are having this problem. We have seen this on OS 6 bundle 231 and 294 and other bundles.

Can RIM please confirm whether there is an issue with the GPS on the 9700/9780/Bold family and if so, if there is a workaround or impending OS update?  It would be much appreciated as we have customers raising support tickets with us now.

Many thanks in advance.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Blackberry 9700 9780 Bold GPS Problem OS 6

This sounds like the issue reported here:  https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/JAVAAPI-1695

Does this match wha you are seeing?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
mjs
New Contributor

Hi Mark,

It most certainly does match what we are seeing.  Is there any further information on this (I see that there is a comment from 2 days ago on the JIRA ticket now from a blackberry rep), and any info on a likely resolution time?  Or indeed which version of BB OS are affected?

Thanks very much Mark.

Matthew

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

[ Edited ]

I recommend adding your comments to the issue itself for an update.  If you can provide more details to the issue it'll help with resolution.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
mjs
New Contributor

Hi Mark

I have added our comments to the JIRA ticket.  I notice that the ticket has been open since February. What is the normal time for resolution/investigation of these issues with your development team?  We would like to be able to give timescales for correction back to our customers.

Thanks again,

Matthew

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Hi,

We are also seeing this issue. It didn't affect the 9700 on OS5.

When the devices get in to this state we also see severe battery drain.

Early indications are that the 9900 also suffers from this problem.

Bryn