Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800, Bold 9700
My Carrier: Movistar, Telenor
Accepted Solution

Blackberry JDE contra Eclipse

I have a very convinient structure in my BB JDE.

I have 3 separate classes and one small common definitions class. I have one common package for all 4 but they are separate projects defined in the package since I need the 3 .cod files. Importing the common class is simple since they are all in the same package. Very neat.

I have been testing the Eclipse JDE and I find that it has many very good features. Now it does not seem possible to do a similar construct in Eclipse. The only way Eclipse allows me to construct a package is within a project. And I have to have separate projects in order to get separate .cod files. And so I end up with separate packages. And simple imports between different packages does not work.

Am I missing something here?

If everything seems to be under control, you're just not driving fast enough
-Mario Andretti-
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry JDE contra Eclipse

Which version of the plugin are you using, 1.0 or 1.1? From what I remeber they have a slightly different manner of importing projects.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Developer

Hi rcmaniac25,

All development tools are the latest I think. The plugin is 1.1

-Mario Andretti-
Developer
My Device: Curve 8310

As far as I know, this is not possible in Eclipse.

You could try this http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction though.

Give kudos if somebody helps you, also mark accepted if it solves your problem. Search first, then post. Please respect RFC-1855 when posting on forums.

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917

In Eclipse packages are per-project, you figured that out. What you can do (since you are using 1.1) is create a single source folder and have the other projects reference it.

Though it is a little cumbersome you could then tell each project to ignore certain source files so it only compiles the ones you want.

As for importing, right click the project, choose Properties->Java Build Path, then go to the Projects tab and add the common project. If you are generating an ALX file, choose the BlackBerry_App_Descriptor.xml file and choose the Build tab at the bottom, select "Generate .alx file" and (once the common COD's ALX file has been generated) choose add under the "Desktop Manager deployment dependencies" and add the common COD's ALX file.

This won't put all resulting COD's in the same folder but it will make sure that they compile correctly and are configured correctly.

As a little extra, if you want the projects to "pretend" to be in the same group then you could create working sets. To do this right click a project and choose "Assign Working Sets..." then on the bottom of the popup window choose "Configure Package Explorer working sets" Next select New, give it a name, select the projects you want in that working set and choose Add. Close the popup wndows and under Package Explorer choose the little downward pointing arrow (if you hover over it, it should say "View menu" then for "Top Level Elements" choose "Working Sets"

This should get you close to what you did in the JDE.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Three simple rules:
Developer

Thanks rcmaniac

I think I will stick to the primitive solution I have with 2 simple bat files that copy the .java files between the two platforms.

Coding in one and build+debugging in the other. works OK

-Mario Andretti-
Developer

Ok, however you want to do it, your the developer.

Three simple rules: