Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry Java Application with Google Maps

Hello Everybody,

I am working on a BlackBerry application where we need to show multiple pin point markers on Google Maps, with custom values in the marker description. I have searched the forums for the same and what I understand as of now is that there isn't much support for Google Maps with BlackBerry APIs and the only way to get the Google Maps is the hack mentioned here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/developer-forum/143263-heres-how-start-google-maps-landmark.html

But the post seem to be really old, has things changed since then?
To enlist we want following features:

- Multiple Pin Point Markers simultaneously
- Custom Labels for these markers (Links to start new java events, address)
- Directions
- Zoom Feature
- Pan Feature

Also is it possible that our application automatically downloads Google Maps if they are already not installed?

I consider Google Static Map APIs as well, but as the name suggest they are static and we need zoom/pan feature. Any clues on getting this dynamic?

Is BB Maps the way forward for us? Please throw in ideas.

Thanks in advance!
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Blackberry Java Application with Google Maps

as google is in no way related to rim, how could rim possibly offer an API for google maps?
you can ask google about public interfaces.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Thanks Simon, could you then please suggest me if BB Maps would support all the feature mentioned.
Developer

Link to the GPS developer Doc.

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/8105/BlackBerry_Java_Development_Environment-4...

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Highlighted
New Developer

I managed to get Google Maps with multiple markers using KML file, but I get that on running it from a browser.

How can I simulate a browser type behaviour from my application. Some where I read we can do this by extending HTTPConnection class and then invoking BrowserField. I do not see BrowserField as any API in JDE, though I see browser.field Package.

Please note that my url downloads a KML file and BB browser initiates Google Maps I want to replicate this behavious from an app.

Any ponters? 

New Developer

Hi Kaushal,

i am also working on google map for BB. loading Kml file is working fine for Blackberry Simulators ,not from actual Blackberry handset,

i am using 9000 bold. Any idea

Thanks 

New Developer

Jenoo, 

I have yet not reached the stage when I am testing my app on real phone, we are still developing on simulator. Sorry can't help you much.

But please keep me posted if you resolve the issue. Thanks

Developer

Hi Kaushal,

can you describe me how you been able to mark multiple points on the google map?

Thanks

Shashank

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

If you want to use web behavior with BrowserField maybe you should use the 5.0 api, from the beta releases. There you've BrowserField class within "field2" package, with a lot of new features.

Just curious, are you using the Google Maps API V3? Or just static maps? I've Google static maps working fine on the embedded browserfield but I couldn't make the new Google api works.

Thanks...

-------------
Rodrigo Bravo
http://www.wilkonit.com
Trusted Contributor

Hi all, any latest update for the questions asked by KaushalPanjwani?Can you guys provide some links for marking multiple markers or how to use kml files with BB?