Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

My Device: torch
My Carrier: o2

Blackberry OS 7 and 10

Hey guys,

I have a few questions in regards to developing for blackberry.

Currently I develop for os 5 in J2me. My company are finally thinking of upgrading to possibly OS 7 or 10.

From my reading I don't think j2me is supported for either.

Does the code need to be completely redeveloped in Java. If so does os 7 and 10 both support java.

One last question, android supports java so is it easy/possible to wrap this also for blackberry with minimum effort

Thanks for your help, if possible if ppl could point me in the right direction for documentation on these subjects that would be most helpful

Cheers

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Blackberry OS 7 and 10

Welcome to the forums.

Your J2ME applicatinos should work fine in OS 7. 

But they won't work in OS 10.  There is no Java support, only Halvik support for Android Runtime.  I'm not an Android developer so I don't know how good this is.

I have worked on an Android port - taking ANdroid code and getting it to run on BB, and while a lot of logic code can be shared, the UI code and interaction code is completely different.  So I woud say it is quite difficult to try to use this environment to 'port' your Java applications to OS 10.  I think you would be better off re-writting them. 

Best place to start for documentation, is I think here.

https://developer.blackberry.com/

Choose one of the development options, review it, then do the same for the other ones.  Form you own conclusions and come back if you have any questions. 

You might be interested in this Thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Is-there-a-successor-platform-to-BlackBerry-...