Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Curve 9000
Accepted Solution

Blackberry OS Future

Hi All,

I'm a leader of a mobile development team and currently we have a lot Blackberry development, but not yet BB Tablet OS.

I would like to understand RIM's position on the future of RIM OS 4.x. 5.0, 6.0 versus Tablet OS. Will RIM completely target all future devices towards Tablet OS or the future is still known RIM OS?

It would be great to learn these plans in terms of years. Should we rely on the current RIM OS for say the next 1, 2, 3, etc. years.

I belive every leader of a mobile team would understand my concerns. I understand that RIM needs to move to more modern platforms, so I need to learn and align our business strategy accordingly. What none wants to have is a situation like Nokia developers have: Symbian, Maemo, WinPhone7? Should anyone extend the existing Symbian team? Should anyone plan development of new products for Symbian or Maemo?

Thanks!

Andrey Zharkikh
Project Manager, Axmor Software
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Blackberry OS Future

Understandable, just remember this is a community forum so it's unlikely to get someone from RIM to respond to your question. Especially given that the Tablet OS has been mentioned that it will eventually get to phones but no dates or time frame has been given.

Based on the various rumors, leaks, etc.

OS 6.1 will come out roughly at the time of the PlayBook (so I'm guessing they will announce the phones for it at BlackBerry World Conference in May).

Though RIM said it would be a major OS, it seems to be one more stop-gap because another "leak" has OS7 (which is supposed to be QNX [AKA Tablet OS] based) coming out around early December 2011.

The QNX OS has BlackBerry Java support, so I won't worry about apps made now not working on later phones but I also expect that they will have a new or updated Java API for QNX OS.

Sources:

-OSs and devices:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/07/leaked-roadmap-reveals-blackberry-os-7-bis-updates-more/

http://crackberry.com/exclusive-cdma-blackberry-roadmap-2011-montana-monaco-sedona-malibu-and-blackb...

-Basis on OS7 release:

http://n4bb.com/3512/blackberry-malibu-curve-touch-details-leak-out

(It, unlike Montana, Monaco, and Sedona, doesn't have an OS listed and is closest to December)

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
New Developer

Hi and great thanks for your detailed reply.

It seems to me that shots terms I'll keep the experts, but no new BB training. It's a pity that RIM has this situation with the current platform. We are working on BB port of one very popular product and I see more and more opinions that if one wants to have good implementation of this product he/she should simply migrate to Android or iPhone. I personally love BB, these ancient devices but this politic kills and gives me no argument to protect BB.

See, you operate with leaks. This means that there is no official information from RIM. It worth to have no official information and no strict plans when all goes well. But in case of problems this is not acceptable. How other companies can develop business strategies around the devices?

Okay. I hope RIM will somehow handle all this and build transparent politic about new versions of OS and possibly (this is another thing which kills BB) about upgrades.

Andrey Zharkikh
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i think they'll have OS 7 with the same APIs as today (extended most likely).

means they have a JVM running on QNX that handles BB apps.

We'll have to see if there will be feature limitations for BB-OS, Android or HTML apps before we can decide what to develop, but it should all be suitable choices.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Thanks. I hope and believe that all will be good with RIM and we finally will have great platform.

Not good thing is that RIM now handles two different platforms: current RIM OS and new one. This usually means less efforts for the old one.

Andrey Zharkikh
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i disagree here. the BB-OS is replaced by QNX, but unless the OS-API-interface is somehow changed there will be no difference for an application developer. of course there will be problems, but i doubt that RIM is planning them intentionally.

we do not develop native apps on blackberry, they all run in a VM.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Highlighted
New Developer

Yes, this is optimistic scenario. However now RIM has to handle a lot development tasks: OS itself, classic RIM API, Android API, all HTML related tasks, Adode AIR related tasks, support both tabled and phones.

It would be great if classic RIM API has no problems. However there are a lot we come accross supporting BB devices (earlier I mentioned that there are some parts of API, which operate well in say 4.6 and operate badly in 5.0. As well as some very basic problems like no proper flush() method in HTTPConnection).

Now RIM has a lot new tasks and would probably lost focus on classic RIM API.

I only afraid that all these problems will remain in new OS with classic RIM API, that more and more developers will do their choice towards Android API, HTML, Air, etc. and finally the classis RIM API will be dropped at all.

Andrey Zharkikh