08-18-2009 02:25 PM
Several questions regarding Blackberry's Push API. As indicated on Blackberry's site, the service allows pushing data to Blackberry devices outside the enterprise, i.e. devices that are not currently registered with a Blackberry Enterprise Server. (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/javaappdev
1. Provisioning: What is the process for a content provider to gain access to the Blackberry's push middleware, so that they can use the infrastructure to forward messages to Blackberry's devices? I assume a content provider will need an address and must be authenticated with the push server before being able to use it.
2. BES: Can Blackberry devices that are already registered with a BES also receive messages from the Blackberry push server?
3. Interfaces: The white paper mentions that push requests can be submitted using PAP 2.2. Does Blackberry publish the specifics of the message formats that their push server expects? If they do, when these interfaces are located?
Similarly, what interfaces do the client need to implement / use for listening for incoming messages?
4. Background process: The white paper mentions that the client application incorporates a listener that listens in the background for incoming data from the server. Does that mean that (a) the background listener must be running all the time to listen for data? (b) If the background listener is not running, data will eventually time out and lost?
If a background listener must run, what is the impact on battery life to have a listener running in the background?
08-18-2009 04:42 PM
1. There's a registration form on the site. There's a cost.
2. Sure, as long as they have BIS connectivity
3. Sure, they're all documented - did you look further on the site? There's several documents available that descibe the push messages, responses and status update requests.
4. Yes. Listener has to be listening to be able to 'hear' anything that comes in. One HUGE benefit over the iPhone. Listener is only 'fired' when new data appears (it is Java after all). Minimal impact on battery life - it only runs when new data appears.
01-19-2010 10:28 AM
From which JDE push services is available? It's not easy to find documentation (tutorial, samples) for BIS. Where/how can I access to resources that helps me to implement a solution that includes receiving notifications?