Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Blackberry STORM Compatibility Mode

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

Just wanted to share some of my observations related to Blackberry Storm Application Compatibility Mode.

The following KB article was referenced in multiple threads:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800451/800719/Known_I...

Please pay special attention to the following phrase:

"An application that is updated to support the touch interface of the BlackBerry Storm smartphone might still be in compatibility mode when the new application version is installed".

I've figured out the hard way that RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode JAD entry value is disregraded by BB Storm from Bell Mobility with OS v4.7.0.148, but no problem is observed on BB Storm from TELUS with OS v4.7.0.76.

My real hope that this issue is fixed for OS v5.0.x.x - can someone from RIM confirm it?

In the meantime, if your app is built to work across various BB handsets, including Storm:

a) Follow RIM's advice and avoid using RIM-TouchCompatibilityMode-UserChangeable JAD entry

b) Educate your users what to do if they see the blue border around application screen.

Using a well-known analogy I call it the "blue screen of death" :-)

Thank you!

Nathan

New Developer

Re: Blackberry STORM Compatibility Mode

Just tried it on Storm 2 (OS v5.0.0.306) - the issue is still there.

Developer

Re: Blackberry STORM Compatibility Mode

Thanks for the post.

This is a known issue that has been discussed on many threads in the forum.