Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Bold device simulator launch BBMaps from behind a firewall

I can launch BBMaps from the Bold device simulator and retrieve maps fine from a standard wireless connection, but when using the same laptop at work (behind a firewall), the BBMaps application cannot see any external data.

P.S Don't think this anything to do with the MDS simulator, as I've trie with that also.  Is there an other setting that need to be applied for this to work.

Thanks

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Bold device simulator launch BBMaps from behind a firewall

It sounds like your firewall is blocking the connection.  Are you able to browse to external web sites using the BlackBerry Browser?  Do you have a proxy server in your environment?  If so, please see this link.

How To - Configure the BlackBerry MDS simulator to work behind a proxy
Article Number: DB-00047

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800792/801079/How_To_...

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Mark,

Thanks for your reply.  I've tried setting the proxy settings in rimpublic.properties, however I still cannot get any map data when using BBMaps on the Bold device simulator.  Does BBMaps even require the MDS simulator to function, as I see no activity in the MDS simulator console when I fire up BBMaps.  Maybe its attempting to use direct TCP.

Unless BBMaps has a seperate configuration, not sure?.

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Sorry, you are correct.  BlackBerry Maps connects directly from the BlackBerry Simulator and does not go through the BlackBerry Simulator.  There is no way to configure it to use a proxy server or a specific port.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker