Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Broadcast in LAN

Hey thanks for the information

will definitely work on it and will update you with the progress.

Developer
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

The BlackBerry can definitely send broadcast packets, but it cannot receive them.

I found a good (not to mention energy efficient) work around is to use Bluetooth for neighbour discovery. Each device posts its wlan IP address to some central server.  Each device then scans for neighbouring Bluetooth MAC addresses.  When a neighbouring device is detected, the device queries the central server for its wlan IP address.  

Neighbour discovery is definitely limited to the range of Bluetooth, but it's an effective work around to establishing connections between neighbouring devices without needing to receive broadcast packets.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Apache license is better than GPL for commercial development. With GPL, any changes you make have to be released to the public. This can be a pain if you are adding a new algorithm of your own by modifying some GPL code.

Apache and Mozilla licenses are more permissive. You can release your own code hidden as long as you make the source of the original code available or refer to where you got it, and say that you modified their code in a declaration someplace (maybe in the license agreement).

Thx

-Donald