Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

BrowserField Not Found

Hi all,

I am trying to leverage the BrowserField class in 4.7 in Eclipse, but the class cannot be found.  I have the net.rim.device.api.browser.field package, but it does not contain this class.  I see the .field2 package in 5.0 and can successfully see BrowserField, but cannot in 4.7.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Devon

Developer

Re: BrowserField Not Found

BrowserField is just one of many classes that are new to 5.0 and not available in earlier versions. I don't know if you can find an equivalent custom field floating around somewhere on the net.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
New Developer

Thanks for your response.  It seemed like people had been referencing it in earlier versions, but I guess I was wrong.   Does anyone else know if anything like this can be utilized in earlier versions?

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000
My Carrier: China Mobile

You can try BrowserContent and RenderingSession 

Developer

People referred to a BrowserField in pre OS 5.0, however this Field was never created by the application so there is no BrowserField class.  In OS 5.0, RIM introduced a class called BrowserField, but called it BrowserField2 to make sure people understood that it was not the same as the original. 

There is quite a good video that explains this Field and how to use it. 

I find it about the same in terms of complexity as BrowserField2, but the rendering in BrowserField 2 is better.  So if you are doing only OS 5.0 devices, then use BrowserField.  If not, then the original Browser processing will still work on OS 5.0, so you can develop once and use it everywhere, just that the look of the screens will be different to the native Browser.