Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Calculate number of days left until next birthday. Please help!

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum and to BB development. So please don't judge harshly if the answer to my question seem obvious.

I need to calculate the number of days until next birthday (given any valid birthdate)

After looking at the API and searching the forum, i realized that i could

calculate the difference between two dates in milliseconds and then devide the delta by value of one day in milliseconds. i.e:

birthdayCalendar.set(Calendar.YEAR, currentYear);

date1 = birthdayCalendar.getTime().getTime();

date2 = System.currentTimeMillis();

delta = date1 - date2

numOfDays = delta\DateTimeUtilities.ONEDAY 

Here is my question. How do i create a valid date1 with regards to leap years?

Maybe there is a better way to solve this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Calculate number of days left until next birthday. Please help!

[ Edited ]

Welcome!  Smiley Happy

Calendar Objects already compensate for leap years, so I do not think you have to do anything. 

Setting a Calendar with the Year, Month, Day is exactly how I would recommend that you do it. 

However note that DST could throw a curve ball at your calculations. 

New Developer

Thanks Peter,
I guess my only worry with leap years is when i create date1 and it falls on February 29 non-leap year (invalid date).
As far as DST goes, is there anything i can do to avoid problems in my calculations?

Thanks again.

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

To get around the Feb 29th issue, you could check for a leap year then make your app either use Feb 28th or Mar 1st for date 1.

New Developer

Thanks CMY , that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Peter, perhaps I'm missing something but if my date1 and date2 have the same timestamps i.e: the same Hour,Minute,Second and Millisecond, does DST really matter in this particular calculation?

Thanks.

Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

It will not matter unless you are trying to count the number of hours, because I don't think the Calendar automatically accounts for the hour shift.

Developer

I agree that determining the number of days between today and Feb 29 could be a little difficult, if it is not a leap year.  I suspect that the Calendar has some built-in mechanism to compensate for this, but that your solution of choosing a date is better.

DST does have a part to play and yes, the Calendar does compensate for it.  Let us take two dates, say 1 March (before DST) and 1 June (after DST).  If you take a calendar and set the same hour, minute etc, so they are all the same, except for the dates, then subtract one from the other, and then divide by the number of milliseconds in 1 hour, you are calculating the number of hours between the same time on two different days.  You will find that there is not a multiple of 24 hours - because there is actually one hour less than the number of days since the clocks go forward (in the northern hemisphere anyway...),

In your case, you are not calculating the number of hours, you are calculating the number of days.  But you will be dividing by [24 * (time in one hour)].  If you take[ 23 * (time in one hour)] and divide by [24 * (time in one hour)], using integer arithmetic, you will end up with 0.  The easiest way to get round this, which also works for the end of DST too, is to just add one hour to the later date before you do the division. 

Hope that makes sense....

New Developer

Thanks Peter, It makes sense.I just have one question about your solution.

What did you mean by "works for the end of DST" ? 
You add an hour only when one date is before DST and one date is after DST (when time mod 24 is not zero). Am i understanding this correctly?

Thanks.

Developer

You can add an hour to the later date whenever you like.  Because you then divide by 24 hours, in the situation when there was no DST involved, or the dates span the end of DST (in which case there is an hour more rather than an hour short), it will still work - the remainder is dropped, so the extra hour(s) is(are) ignored. 

New Developer

I see now.

Thanks a lot for your help.