Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodacom

Can a trial game player vs a paid game player over bbm

hi

Im thinking of making a trial version or rather a lite version of my  game 

Q1 :  Was wondering if anyone knows if a user using a trial version can verse a user with the full version ?

on blackberry world the version number for my game is V 1.0

when i submitted it was V1.0.0 and in the download reports it shows  V1.0.0

whilst searching the forums i learnt a trial version has a bigger number like 

full version  1.0.0.0  and trial  1.0.0.25

they all showed three decimal notations mine has two   1.0.0

Q2 how many decimal notations  is required?

Q3 if there is a  going to be a problem whats the best way to solve it

Q4 whats your take on a trial do you think it will improve sales and get the word out ?

i was thinking of not having a time period just limited features like not allowing a user to complete a game and ending it after just four rounds . and adding ads for revenue as well as the annoying pop up to purchase the full version.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Can a trial game player vs a paid game player over bbm

Congratulations on the app.

I must admit to not being aware that the last number was an indication of a trial version. Can you please point me at this documentation?  I generally have used that as a build number. The first 3 numbers are usually treated as some combination of version, release and level, with the last one being the build.  So if you make a minor change, and rebuild the app, then the build number gets incremented, usually automatically by the build.  But if you decide you want to make the change more obvious, because of some significant change in the app, you change one of the other numbers.

Anyway, with respect to whether the apps can communicate, this is usually NOT a function of the 'version/release/level/build' number associated with a the game.  It is is usually something more fundamental. 

And it will depend on how your app communicates.  Your app uses email and BBM.

In the case of email, the version should not matter. 

In the case of BBM, if you want your app to communicate, then again the number should not matter.  The important thing is that it must remain the same app in BlackBerry World.  In other words, you can't have a free one and a paid one separately on BB World  - these two apps would not be able to communicate via BBM.  So if you wish to continue using BBM, and you want your free users to be able to talk to you paid users using BBM, then you will have to change the way you charge for your app.  You will need to make a free version of your app, and have the user pay some money with an in app purchase, and have this payment enable whatever distinguishes your free version from your paid version. 

Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodacom

hello thanks for replying

heres the links

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/Have-existing-app-in-app-world-n...

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/Adding-a-free-trial-to-existing-paid-ap...

i was planning on trying to submit the free version as a "try" as in the links was just curious about the bbm communication

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I would trust what that user says, he knows his stuff and does have a number of products on BB World. 

Also I have got confused between BB10 and BBOS development and BB10 includes the abulity to automatically increament the build number (the last of the 4 digits) when you do a build. 

Anyway, short answer here is really I don't know about the version informaiton in enough detail to be confident of answering your question.  However I can confirm that BBM communication will be possible if the two apps are the same as far as BB World is concerned.

I hope someone else can help you more. 

Cheers.