Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Can't Get Signing Service to Start

Hi,

I've been using the BlackBerry Password Based Signing Authority websigner service, locally on my development machine with a signing identity for my company for securing a small amount of persistent data.  We are moving on to general release of our product and need to move the signing authority to a separate piece of hardware, as my desktop computer should not be part of our production environment.  The problem I've run into so far, is that installing the signing authority on any of my Windows 2003 servers doesn't seem to work.  Installation and setup of the service works, but the service won't start (even if I run it as a local administrator).  Has anyone out there succesfully gotten this tool to run on Windows Server 2003?  Where can I find information about what is causing the service to be unable to start?

-mslevinsky 

Developer
Developer

Re: Can't Get Signing Service to Start

I'm running mine on WS2003.  Are you getting the prompt for the keystore password?  Is "Allow service to interact with the desktop" checked in the service properties?

New Developer

I have tried both running as Local System, with the "Allow service to interact with the desktop" as well as giving the service logon as a Local Administrator user account.  When I try to start the service in the Services dialog, I get the error :

"Could not start the BlackBerry Signing Authority ID: FFFF service on Local Computer.  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

So I don't get to the keystore password entry dialog (and all the normal stuff I would get to if I were running it on my desktop).

-mslevinsky 

Developer
Developer

Check the location.dat file in the install directory and make sure it points to the correct location.  If you copied files from your desktop to the server but didn't put them in the exact same directory, then location.dat will be out of sync.  This bit me when I moved from a 32bit desktop to a 64bit server because the "Program Files" directory name changed.

New Developer

I had this problem previously when I had simply copied my install over.  This last time I did a full / clean install from the distribution installer to avoid any problems that might have come from using files taken from my desktop.  I've checked the location.dat and it points to the correct data directory. 

-mslevinsky 

Developer
Developer

Do SigningAuthorityAdmin and WebAdmin run ok?

New Developer

Yes, both tools run just as they do on my desktop.

-mslevinsky 

Developer
Developer

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Smiley Sad
New Developer

Thanks for your help gtj!  It's appreciated!

Anyone else run into anything ressembling this? I'm currently researching a fix, perhaps generically related to Error 1053.

-mslevinsky 

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell