Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Can't Get Signing Service to Start

Try starting the service from a command line using: 

WebService.exe -run

This should give more information on the error.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I assume what you meant by the above post was to run:

websigner -run

because there's no WebService.exe in my install directory.  Do I have an out of date signing authority installation package?  I only found one release of the product, versioned 1.0, Installer File Version 9.50.98.0, Digitally signed by RIM on Tuesday, November 1, 2005.

I tried the -run commandline parameter and it printed the list of acceptable commandline parameters as if I had entered an unknown parameter, then continued to try and load the websigner (I had been just previously watching it through SysInternals filemon to see if it was being denied file permissions, but have since ruled this out) which failed with a timeout.

-mslevinsky 

How are you starting the service?  Are you physically logged into the server or are you starting the service remotely?  If you are doing it remotely, what application are you using to connect to the server (remote desktop, Citrix, etc...)?

Mark Sohm

New Developer

I have been starting the service by remote desktop manually (just for testing purposes).  I have attempted to start the service through the "services" menu (after the service has been installed via. commandline), as well as on the commandline (calling "websigner -start").

My plan for when this is deployed to a production environment is to hook up an AutoIt3 script that will wait for the GUI to come up, and enter the appropriate passwords, on host bootup.

-mslevinsky 

Do you have physical access to the server to start them directly from it?
Mark Sohm

Developer
Developer

Yeah, I wonder if the keystore password prompt isn't making it through the remote desktop?

You could try VNC as the remote access mechanism.

New Developer

For the time being, I do, although this is not an option for when I move into production.

I had intended to use the Password Based Signing authority on a server in our production environment, to automatically sign a piece of code that will be unique for each customer of our product, prior to download.  Our IT policy is to have no non-automated processes in our production environment, and I had wanted to place it ideally in a VM that is doing a few other minor tasks.

Currently I have a Win2k3 development server at my disposal that I am testing on, after I discovered the signing authority wouldn't start on my VM.  I will attach my monitor and keyboard to development server and see if it makes a difference.

-mslevinsky 

New Developer

After logging into the system manually, when the service was configured to run as a local user, the password dialog kind of shows up (I see the window gradient at the top of the screen, I can drag it around and interact with it, but it doesn't display correctly).

If I configure the service to run as Local System, with desktop interaction privileges enabled, the password dialog shows up correctly when I start the service.

So I guess that kind of solves the problem.  I'll see if I can get VNC to allow the service startup to show up correctly.  Thank you very much MSohm + gtj, your suggestions have been tremendously helpful in figuring this out.

MSohm: you think there's any possibility that RIM could add full commandline support for the service, like they have done with the SignatureTool?  

New Developer

Is there any work around if I don't have physical access to the Windows 2003 server? Has anyone succeeded in getting the password dialog to show up over remote desktop? I tried this with xp and remote desktop and it worked correctly, but I cannot start the service on Win 03.
New Developer

I installed RealVNC as a remote desktop replacement, and I got it to work that way.  Kind of a PITA that it doesn't work with Windows Server 2003 remote desktop, but at least its possible to start it remotely now.