Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Cannot rename COD Files?

We have a custom application running at a client site, version 1.0 with COD files name "myapp-10.cod".  It contains four COD files, and was deployed via the BES (using an ALX file).  All was fine and everyone was happy.  The application was deployed to about 300 users.

When it cam time to upgrade to version 1.1, we renamed the COD files to "myapp-11.cod".  The internal project name remained the same.  We did some testing on devices by deploying via a URL download (using the renamed COD files and a JAD file).  The application upgraded fine, and again, the test users were happy.

When it came time to deploy the upgrade via the BES, it was a disaster.  The BES didn't recognize the new version as an "upgrade", and instead, pushed out a SECOND application.  Now, users had version 1.0 AND version 1.1 running on their devices?

I was told by our technical partner rep that this is "possibly" due to the fact that the COD files were renamed.

Can anyone confirm this?  I was always led to believe that the physical file names were irrelevant, as long as the internal name (the <application id> tag in the ALX file remained the same. 

How does the BES recognize an "upgrade" vs. a new application?

Thanks,

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Cannot rename COD Files?

remove the old app from the bes config, add the new one. maybe you should post in the bes section of the forums, it is not really a development problem.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I believe you have a problem not just because you've renamed the COD file, but because your naming convention is not acceptable for BlackBerry modules. If I'm not mistaken, BlackBerry modules must not have dashes in their names. This is because dashes are reserved for naming sibling modules (when a module is too big, it's split into <module.cod> <module-1.cod>, <module-2.cod> and so forth). Various installation methods (web OTA download, Desktop Manager, BES OTA Push) interpret these dashed names a bit differently. I recall in BES 4.x there was an issue where the push subsystem would hate dashes whereas the software configuration/IT Policy subsystem would require them.

To make the versioning work OK, you should leave module name untouched, and simply change the version that's built into the module (version and vendor fields can be specified both on per-project and per-workspace level). You need to ensure that the same version is also specified in the JAD and ALX files. In this case the various deployment mechanisms will recognize your new module as an upgrade for the old one.

New Developer

Simon_hain, posting to the BES section of the forum was my initial thought, but when we first alerted RIM about this issue (via TSupport), they told us it's a Development issue (an incorrectly formatted ALX file).  Anyway, we did remove the old app using a new SW config.

The names of the files are actually "myapp11.cod", "myapp11-1.cod", "myapp11-2.cod" and "ksoap.cod".  There were no dashes in the name, my original posting was incorrect.  The files were generated directly from the JDE, they were no renamed "manually".  In fact, the Build screen allows you to enter the version AND the output file name.  There's no indication anywhere that the output file name has to be the same as the internal Project Name.

As an aside, if dashes are supported, the JDE shouldn't allow you to include one in the name.

Thanks!

Developer

the dashes are ok - they represent the sub-cods of your application. usually these are not linked in the alx-file, only in the jad. the application is identified by its build name. if you change the build name the BES identifies it as a new application and installs it without removing the old application. it is a problem you should solve together with your BES administrator, or you could refrain of using the version in the build name.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

Thanks Simon.  I'll follow up with the BES admin people and see why they think the BES push didn't upgrade.  The build name has never changed.

Developer

i just guessed, from your given myApp11 filename, that your previous version had the file named myApp10 please check if the files of your old and your new build are named the same.
@SimonHain on twitter
New Developer

The version 1 build were named "myApp10.cod", and the version 1.1 build were named "myApp11.cod". 

So, the physical file names are NOT named the same.

Developer

how should the BES possibly know what application it is? crystal ball? as i said, the BES identifies the program with the filename. change the filename and you have a new software.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Well, there's also application ID in the ALX file. I'm not sure how much of this ID the BES uses, but it does use it sometimes, if I recall correctly... Might it have to do with the name of the module group on the device?