Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Cannot use browser in simulator

This is weird. A while ago, I installed a Bold 9000 simulator (4.6.0.126) and have been running and debugging fine from Eclipse just fine. Today, when I run the simulator and try to make a connection through the browser to test an OTA installation, I get an alert: "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again." The MDS simulator is running. I can't connect to any web site at all (BlackBerry Bookmarks, Google, etc.) with the browser.

I've tried fiddling with the mobile network and wi-fi options ad nauseum. I've re-installed the simulator. I've rebooted my machine. No success. Other simulators seem to work fine (I can connect using the browser through MDS). It's just this Bold simulator that seems to be having problems.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.
Highlighted
Developer

Re: Cannot use browser in simulator

Two suggestions:

a) Start WiFi on the device.  Just use the Manage Connections, Set Up WiFi, and let it search - it wall find a default WiFi Service

b) Check your default Browser.  Options --> Advanced .._ Browser.  Make sure it is Browser or BlackBerry Browser and not HotSpot Browser. 

Sounds like you just switched to Hotspot Browser by default.  However I have just tried that myself,and don't see the same symptoms.  So perhaps not.  But give it a try anyway.

Developer

Re: Cannot use browser in simulator

Starting WiFi on the simulator worked. I needed to skip WPS setup for it to work, else it would hang waiting for a response from an access point.

The browser, interestingly, offers only the Hotspot Browser. I had noticed that earlier but hadn't thought anything about it. Fortunately it isn't the root of the problem. So either there's something different about this simulator or the installation is still screwed up.

Anyway, thanks for getting me past that roadblock.

Solved? click "Accept as solution". Helpful? give kudos by clicking on the star.