Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Turkcell

Changin APN to blackberry.net

Our client says that the network connection of the application is slow while using 3G/EDGE, and they say that the application will be fast if we change the APN from gprs.qtel(Qatar Telecom) to blackberry.net.

As searched the forum i found some strings to add to the connection URL:

url + ";deviceside=true;apn=blackbery.net"

OR

url + ";deviceside=true;apn=blackbery.net;tunnelauthusername=<name>;tunnelauthpassword=<pw>"

To use blackberry.net as APN, should I use one of the two lines on my application?

If I should use the second line, how/where can I get the username and password?

And I use the connection order as: WIFI >>>WAP2 >>> BIS >>> BES >>> DIRECT_TCP

Should I change this order?

And should I use the lines above in WAP2 and DIRECT_TCP only?

Thanks,

Onur

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Changing APN to blackberry.net

I was not aware that blackberry.net was a valid APN. 

I am also not sure why the connection via this mechanism would be any faster than any other wireless connection.  So I would ask your client why it will be faster.

With respect to wireless connections, the only change you are making is the gateway from the wireless connection to the Internet,  The slowest part is most likely the wireless network.  So on the surface anyway, changing the gateway will make no difference to performance.

With respect to the connections, the order that you are specifying (WIFI >>>WAP2 >>> BIS >>> BES >>> DIRECT_TCP) suggests, to me anyway that you are most likely to go through the WAP gateway before you use the APN.  So unless you know you are using the APN, you will not improve the speed making this change.

I would actually find out what connection path you are using, time the various parts of this process and make sure that you know how much data you are sending and receiving over this connection.  You might find something else is the problem, for example, the volume of data involved. 

Contributor
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: Turkcell

Thanks for your answer Peter.

My client still insists that I should change the APN to blackberry.net.

So I changed the connection string for DIRECT_TCP to 

url + ";deviceside=true;apn=blackbery.net"

and disabled WAP2 to test DIRECT_TCP, and I got "Tunnel failed java.io.IOException"

Is it possible that blackberry.net is not supported in my country (Turkey) and may work in Qatar?

Or Am I doing something wrong (e.g. should I add a username and a password like I mentioned in my first post) ?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

If you look here, you will see that some carriers do use blackberry.net as a way to provide direct TCP access on the device:

http://trackwary.com/blackberry_apn_settings

So it is possible that it won't work in one carrier and will work in another.  Perhaps this is what your client is referring to?

Username and password are required by some carriers and not by others.

You can specify carrier TCP settings in two places:

a) On your request

b) In your device's TCP settings

See here and the linked articles for more:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Specify-APN-information-for-a-direct-TCP-con...

But if the APN settings is not correct you will see tunnel failed.

But the real issue for me anyway is the assertion that this will perform faster.  I see no reason why it should.   

So for me, your priority is to do this (copied from my previous post):

"I would actually find out what connection path you are using, time the various parts of this process and make sure that you know how much data you are sending and receiving over this connection.  You might find something else is the problem, for example, the volume of data involved. "