02-12-2010 02:36 AM
I would like to develop a chat appliation(like Yahoo Messange) in Blackberry. I don't know how to start my development, what to select as peer-to-peer communication medium. I have heard that Jabber is the good solution for the same, however i would like your opinion and suggestion to proceed on right direction.
Please assist me in terms of protocol, medium and available solutions to achieve the same.
02-12-2010 03:04 AM
jabber (xmpp) is a good protocol to use because it is open and well documented. many other protocols can only be accessed by buying licenses or using reverse-engineered code.
with google and facebook using xmpp it seems to have good future prospects.
02-12-2010 03:32 AM
First of all thanks for your quick reply. I would like to confirm that we can use the Jabber(xmpp) for the Blackberry development as blackberry is very strict on it's security. I have seen many blackberry chat app on AppWorld, if possible then provide me the max information you have on developing chat app on blackberry.
My understandin on Jabber(xmpp)
Client 1->Server1->Server 2-> Client 2
1. When first time Client 1 will login to server- server will generate a session for it, simillarly for Client 2
2. There could be multiple server- as server would be the medium to transfer the messages
3. The communication process whould be syncronous
Can we do client to client communication without use of server?
Thanks a lot,
02-15-2010 01:17 AM
Anybody is there who has any information on developing chat application for Blackberry?
1. I have created a new Blackberry application in Eclipse
2. have downloaded the XMPP- smack.jar and smackx.jar
3. Put it in to build config path
4. Tried to run the application in simulator
5. It gives me Module not found error
Please tell me what's wrong with this?
Can't we use those jar file directly into Blackberry application?
I have found many Blackberry apps on App World, i would like to know what technology/protocol/medium they have used?
Is there any alternative available to develop Blackberry Chat application?
Thanks for sharing this information.
02-15-2010 01:33 AM
These libraries, from last I looked at them, uses J2SE, not J2ME as you are provided on Blackberry.
This means that you are going to have to do some real coding and port these libraries to ME if you want to use them.
02-15-2010 04:13 AM
Thanks a lot for quick reply to my query.
Jack_black-> I am digging and exploring on Blackchat, meanwhile i have few quick queries to you on same. Please send your feedback if you have information on it.
1. Do we need to buy any paid service of RIM/Blackberry to develop this application?
2. Can we develop a cross platform applicaion(Android, iPhone and BB) with little modification? or it will not work for iPhone?
3. Do we have any updated APIs which we can use in available Blackchat app? As i thought that the APIs/Implementation may be done some time back and there may be new APIs available to implement the same.
02-15-2010 05:28 AM
There are different protocols are available to implement the chat application. i would like to know your suggestions on selecting the protocol as well as the impact of those protocols.
Once again thanks a lot and kudos to Jack, you have suggested a wonderful solution and i am really thankful to you.
If anybody has any suggestion in it please put your comments here
02-15-2010 05:34 AM
1. not checked........... you can find it easily
3. so many apps their to add functionality check : http://github.com/challgren/brightberry
quick kudoes are sweet