Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9000
My Carrier: Orange Israel

Chat like windows

Hello, 

I need help on design for chat app, specifically on the UI mechanism for the

open chat screen's. What is the best approach for that kind of development ?

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Chat like windows

A lot of it depends on how you want to display your chat. Have you thought about what you want it to look like? Regardless, you may find a good start looking through some of the code at http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Implement-advanced-buttons-fields-and-manage...

Developer
My Device: various
My Carrier: various

You will need two "text box" fields: one for typing the message, another (read-only) - for displaying the chat messages and scrolling through them.

There are a couple of knowledge base articles which provide similar functionality. Be sure to read the comments in both - they discuss various enhancement ideas, some aimed at exactly what you are trying to achieve:

Scrollable one-line text input field

TextBoxField revisited

----------------------------------------------------------
please click 'Accept Solution' on posts that provide the solution to the question you've posted. Don't say "Thanks", press 'Like' button instead!
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9000
My Carrier: Orange Israel

Thanx all for the replies. 

Well, This is already implemented let me elaborate; We are trying to figure out the best approach for handling several open chat windows. The first approach is the simple one, where we load all chat messages for a specific open chat and just let the UI handle the scrolling between new and old messages. The second more complicated approach is to load into memory only the messages which will be actually displayed on screen (so only the messages which fit into a full chat screen will be loaded). The first approach is a simple one, but we would like know if this approach is also scalable, meaning if we have 20 open chats, each one holding ~30-50 messages, will this simple approach work?

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9630
My Carrier: AT&T

hey can you please share your code...

Thanks.