Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Choose SDK

I'm starting to develop a Java app and I don't know which version to choose.

As far as I know I need to choose the minimal sdk version having the features needed for the application. This is why I started to develop at 4.0 (I don't need anything more).

BUT there is few help pages explaining how to adapt old SDK made applications to sdk 7.1... and this is what I don't understand. Why should somebody need to adapt his application to 7.1 if it's already compatible? If I add a button the sdk 4.0 in a touch devide wouldn't press it touching the screen if I'm not having a 7.1?

Am I missing something?

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Choose SDK

Have a look at this:

I strongly recommend that you develop your application for a later level of OS and take advantage of the extra facilities that you get with these.

The other thing to consider is the development environment.  I recommend that you develop using Eclipse, in which case the earliest OS you can develop for is 4.5. 

If you develop in OS 5.0, and correctly handle touchEvents, the code should run OK on all later level OSs.  

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Choose SDK

Building on a compiler before 4.7 can launch the application in compatibility mode on later devices, which you most likely want to avoid. I usually recommend building on the 5.0 compiler. If your app is basic, you can probably get away with using the 4.7 compiler and it will be compatible with 5/6/7.x devices. If you use some advanced features, the 5.0 API is nicer to develop with. I don't think many developers still create software for pre-5.0 devices.

I've read some of the material on "getting your app ready for 7.1" and for basic app features, there isn't much you should have to do to get the app ready for 7.1. Give your app a test on the devices or simulators you are releasing for.