Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

CodeModuleGroup and JAD - Is this my way to push properties through to my app from an OTA download?

Hi Guys,

I've been poking around on this for a while but not getting the answers I need.  Just looking for confirmation.  I'm trying to get my head around how I'll roll my own OTA app distribution.  Initially just so I have a way to do OTA testing internally and promotional give aways, but who knows, maybe add a way to actually collect money from people.

So, when we check the license with App World, we look for a particular property on our app CodeModuleGroup... see this thread for discussion:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=appworld_dev&message.id=335#M335

My question is, can I create a JAD from my server, on the fly, that has some value stored in it that will ultimately be picked up by my app code when it checks for a license?   For example, my own properly key might be STU-MANS_ZANY_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY, and I'd check it from my app like so:

CodeModuleGroup.load("My App").getProperty("STU-MANS_ZANY_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY");

Is this how Mobihand and Handango are doing things?  I'm going to just write some tests tonight when I get home, but hoping someone can confirm this through a message too.

thanks

Stu

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: CodeModuleGroup and JAD - Is this my way to push properties through to my app from an OTA download?

Does this help?

How To - Programmatically read the attributes of a JAD file
Article Number: DB-00638
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/800708/800646/How_To_...

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: CodeModuleGroup and JAD - Is this my way to push properties through to my app from an OTA download?

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot.  Yeah that seems to be exactly the info I was hoping for.

You da man!

Stu