Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Compiling for Different BlackBerry Phones

I have an app that I wish to deploy to BlackBerry apps. What is the best way to compile the app so that it will run on multiple BB devices (not just the storm)?

I developed my app in Eclipse, and it currently compiles for the storm. I converted the project to 4.3, and fixed the incompatibilites. Unfortunately, I need at least 4.2 compatibility (if not earlier). Suggestions? 

Thanks!

Chris 

BlackBerry/Mobile Enthusiast - http://www.riccomini.name
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Compiling for Different BlackBerry Phones

I don't understand the qustion re: 4.2 or earlier - just target the earliest version that will support your app requirements.

You are probably going to need a 2nd build for the Storm, unless you can live with "compatibility mode" limitations. You can use the preprocessor to allow the app to compile under the earlier version, without the Touch API.

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

There is a simple rule.

JDE version has to be less or equal to the device OS version number (can be checked on device via Options-About).

For example if you write your app on JDE 4.2 it will run on devices with OS version 4.2, 4.3 and newer.

There is a special point about Blackberry Storm device (Device OS 4.7).

It is the first blackberry device with touch screen. So your app compiled on JDE 4.2 will run on Storm, but to get the most from the Storm and touchscreen functionality - rewrite your app with JDE 4.7 and RIM API 4.7

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i usually build my applications using 4.2.1, it features most things i need.
there are a lot of devices out there that can possibly run a higher OS but do not (like all the 8xxx devices).
i would only target 4.1 or 4.2.0 on special request as many of my standard library classes would not work.

i second the advice with the storm, while most apps run without problems it is a good idea to re-develop certain UI parts for the storm.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter