Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Trusted Contributor
My Device: 9530
Accepted Solution

Confused between OS & JDE

Hi,

I have developed application in jde 4.7. The code is designed keeping compatiblilty with 4.5. So, now I want to test the code in simulator with OS 4.5.

My confussion is :

1. I should download jde 4.5 and add build my project in it and test with the available simulators in jde
  2. I can download Simulator bundle 4.5. Wish will give me simulator of 4.5 OS. and test my application in that simulator of OS 4.5.

I believe earlier my concept was to download jde 4.5 and test in it. But now looking at the simulator bundles, I am confused.

Kindly help me

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For any helpful answers give kudo's (star) to the helper.
Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

Re: Confused between OS & JDE

You can just download simulator package you need. You'll need jde basically if you need to make some changes to code (for ex while using preprocessor commands and thus compiling for different version of jde)

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

sonicboomboy is not correct. 

You can not run code developed in 4.7 in a 4.5 simulator (or device for that matter).  Actually that is not 100% accurate.  It may work.  But it is not supported.  If it does work, it will be accident, not because of the way you coded it. 

Always develop on an OS/JDE/Component pack that is older or the same level as the device/Simulator you are targeting. 

So download JDE 4.5 and compile using that. 

Then download and test with any 4.5 Simulators you want. 

Developer
My Device: 8520
My Carrier: some

yes, peter_strange, you are right.

by compiling using JDE 4.5 (in our case) we get the necessary level of reliablity. I mean if your code compiles in JDE 4.5 then it's absolutely going to work on the devices running the os4.5.

Got resolved! Press kudo icon!
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Anybody has a statistics about how many percent of BB phone are using OS version 4.5, 4.7, 5.0?

Which phone is supported by each OS version?

I think that those statistics SHOULD be done and publish by RIM so that developer can make decision when we choose OS. But it's weird that I cannot find from anywhere?

Any body can share those information with me?

Best

Hai

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Hai, Here is the list of device models and operating systems that it supports.

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe/fetch/2000/348583/1573156/What_Is_-_Sup...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trusted Contributor

Thanks Peter.

Trusted Contributor

I have one querry, the code that is developed in 4.7, will work in 5.0. I don't need to download jde 5.0, only need to downlaod a 5.0 simulator and test.

Right? Please confirm.

Developer
My Device: BOLD 9700 OS5.0.0.x on Rogers Canada
My Carrier: Rogers

That is correct, as far as I know. New OS versions come with more or improved features. While a method may become deprecated, it is not removed, and therefore you should always be able to run your code in a later version of the OS than the one for which it was developed. Getting a simulator with a later OS should be sufficient to test.

Hope that helps,

~Dom

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
chown -R us ./base
~J!NX