Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Other network Stuff

[ Edited ]

This post available for the things I've forgotten about.....

Other extremely useful Threads

On some devices, a voice call will interrupt a connection.  This Thread discusses the implications for a Phone Listener.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&thread.id=29197

Edit: Decided this was a good place to add references to other extremely useful networking related Threads.

Message Edited by peter_strange on 04-08-2009 11:21 AM
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Other network Stuff

one post to rule them all, and in the network bind it (the port...)
get's a prominent link in my internal KB and i think i'll vote for sticky!
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

As always Excellent work.

All Network Info in one thread.

This should be a Sticky thread.

Use Search. "Accept Solution" If the problem is resolved.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

Should be a sticky thread.. Nice work peter.. Excellent!

Thanks! 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810

how does the data get between the proxy and the device?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=java_dev&message.id=29104#M29104 

HyperText Transfer Protocol (HTTP), which is the primary protocol of the World Wide Web, has a special method known as CONNECT. This method is used by a user device to instruct a proxy server to establish a connection with a remote server so that handshaking between the user device and the remote server can take place.

Thanks! 

--
Manimaran Selvan
Co-Founder, Tech Lead,
Equity Markets Research Group
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

This is fantastic Peter!!!  One sticky coming up...
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Developer
Developer

Great info as usual Peter.

You said this:

"Aside: Note in some (typically older) devices, the device itself would attempt to determine the best connection method, if you specified nothing at all.  In fact I have some devices who will only connect correctly if you do this.  However these are the exceptions rather than the rules."

How old is "older"?  The application I'm working on currently does nothing to append parameters to URLs, but I've found it to work for T-Mobile 8320 (non-corporate, providing the APN info is typed in), ATT 8320 (both corporate and not), 8820 ATT (corporate) and Pearl 8100 (T-Mobile corporate). 

Would 8900, Bold, Pearl Flip or Storm require the URL parameters?

Developer

Good question.  I knew that statement would get me in trouble. 

The current version of the standard KB article (DB-00396 - What Is - Different ways to make an HTTP or socket connection) says this:

"By default, all BlackBerry smartphone models, except the BlackBerry® 6500 Series and the BlackBerry® 7500 Series, use BlackBerry MDS by default"

From memory, in the previous version of this article, there used to be more exceptions, especially devices that ran on networks that I had never heard of (for example IDEN?).  But more importantly, there were comments about devices that would attempt to determine their best route.  These comments have been removed, I presume because they were confusing, and with CoveragineInfo, in theory, the application program can select the correct method. But as you have found out, in some cases, it appears the logic is still there. 

I think I'm going to ask for input from Rim on this one.

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

If you don't specify any parameters in  your connection, BlackBerry handhelds will first try to connect using the MDS Connection Service of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, if the user has been configured on a BES.  If they are not on a BES, it will attempt to make a direct TCP connection.

The exception to this rule are BlackBerry handhelds that run on the iDEN network.  They try to connection in the reverse order (direct TCP first, then BES).  This would be the BlackBerry 6500 series, 7500 series and the BlackBerry 8350i.  I'll update the KB to add this new model.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Developer
Developer

[ Edited ]
Mark, do you know that to be true for the 8700 series?  I tested a connection with no parameters with a 8700 4.2.1 non-BES T-Mobile device with the APN info typed in (wap.voicestream.com) and it didn't work.
Message Edited by bo on 04-10-2009 11:56 AM