Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Control the camera

Greetings.

I'd like to see if is there any way to make an app that control the camera for take a pict and send it to a server side app, or, maybe adding a menu item to the camera menu, for send the picture (flickr style), i was reading about it, the invoke camera class works fine but the send picture on the camera menu should work better, any sugestion?

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Control the camera

The Invoke class can be used to launch the camera.  Your application could then listen for images saved by the user and send them to your server application.  The fileexplorer demo included with the BlackBerry JDE is an example of this.

Version 4.6 of BlackBerry handheld software allows an application to embed the camera within its own GUI.  The camerademo included with the version 4.6. BlackBerry JDE is an example of this.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

I'd also like to install a camera menu option that lets users directly submit pictures to our service "flickr style". Is there an easy way to do this? I'd like to avoid the new tools in 4.6.0 to maximize the number of devices we can target.

Thanks,

Andy

New Developer

From other postings here it seems that the camera menu option requires access to internal apis. Am I correct that the only supported mechanism for 3rd party apps to use the camera pre-4.6.0 is to invoke the camera application and listen for new image files?

Thanks,

Andy

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

You are correct.  There are currently no public APIs in the BlackBerry API set that allow for the camera integration you describe.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker