Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

Posts: 1,474
Registered: ‎04-14-2009
My Device: Not Specified

Re: ControlledAccessException in an app that was working

[ Edited ]

If the only option in the Recording permission dropdown is Deny, then it means that the BES IT Policy doesn't let you change the permission to Allow. As simon_hain suggested, there's nothing you can do on the BlackBerry -- you should talk to your BES admin to change the IT Policy and pus the new policy to the BlackBerry.


P.S. I guess this also means that Capture It has a bug: it should've checked whether the user is allowed to change the Recording permission at all. In your case the Capture It application should've failed early citing IT Policy restrictions.

Posts: 15
Registered: ‎01-08-2010
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: ControlledAccessException in an app that was working

I see what you are saying now.  I was thinking permissions.  You are talking about the Application Control Policy settings on the BES.  I think that is where the problem is.  My BB is currently reactivating with the new settings and my fingers are crossed ...

New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎09-22-2011
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: ControlledAccessException in an app that was working

[ Edited ]

It's been more than a year since your post, but I was just struggling with this exact same issue today.  We pushed out a new third party app (Dell EMS Agent)  that caused several other apps to stop working -- all apps which require access to the capturing of sound or video, including Shazam, One Touch Flashlight, etc.


It ended up having nothing to do with the IT Policy.  Fortunately, your post steered me in the right direction.  As a result of this 3rd party app installation, there was an Optional Application Control Policy defined as Standard Unlisted Optional.  When I selected that policy and clicked on "Edit application control policy", then clicked on the Access Settings tab, I found several policies listed.  One was "Is access to the screen, microphone, and video capturing APIs allowed" and it was set to "Not permitted".  I changed that to "Allowed", Save All, reboot device, and everything works again!


Thanks for steering me in the right direction!