Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Java Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

ControlledAccessException when trying to use bluetooth GPS

I feel bad asking so many questions on here, but everybody is so helpful it's hard not to. Smiley Happy

I built, signed, and deployed the RIM GPSDemo which comes with the JDE to an 8300 (which does not have a built in GPS receiver).  I do, however have a Garmin bluetooth GPS receiver that I have used with success on Windows Mobile devices. I have enabled this deviceby enabling bluetooth and, and through the GPS options in the advanced settings set the receiver to be the default bluetooth device.

However, when I run GPSDEMO I get a ControlledAccessException.  I have checked the application policy on the device and don't immediately see something amiss.  

Is there something extra I need to do in my program to support bluetooth GPS devices or does this device have policy set from an enterprise server that is stopping me, or is there some third, obvious, option I am failing to see?

Hoping to continue my streak of excellent help luck,

-- Henry

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Re: ControlledAccessException when trying to use bluetooth GPS

When you have installed your application, go to Options-Advanced Options-Applications

Find your application in the list, open menu and select "Edit permissions"

Set the relevant permissions for your application and save settings.

Check the picture attached.

Developer

To make your application appear in applications list - install it via alx file or via OTA.

If you install it via javaloader command directly - it won't appear in options-applications list.

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

I did this initially when first testing the app.  Whether Location is set to Prompt or Allow I get the ControlledAccessException without any dialogs appearing.  I am sure it is for the correct application. 

Is there any other policy that could cause this exception?  the error message itself says: "Uncaught exception: Cannot Access GPS: This application requires authorization from your wireless service provider to access the GPS functionality" is this just a generic error, or is there policy set by ATT that is causing this?

-- Henry

Developer

Seems that it is policy that prevents you from use of GPS.

Contact your wireless provider support for that.